Majority of Hospital Debt Owed by Folks With Insurance

I probably do more charitable work than most of the folks on this forum, but I don't feel a need to brag about it. There is nothing wrong with offering a hand to someone truly in need, but I have no desire to enable those who are capable of taking care of themselves and their family but prefer to rely on handouts and taxpayer grift,

The only ones who benefited across the board with ACA were the insurance companies. They raised their premiums I'm guessing a minimum of 500%
Hospitals and providers have more unpaid bills than anytime ever( hospitals were supposed to benefit if everyone had insurance)hint they didn't.
If you don't get a subsidy you're screwed.
Couple in their 60s $36,000 in premiums. $6000 deduct ($18,000 deduct out of network) till plan pays a penny. Max oop in network is $9,450 (unlimited out of network). If I stay in network shouldn't have to shell out much more than $50k(premiums,deductible, coinsurance)a year. It's been so comforting to know that.
Begining to think insurance companies are the NEW organized crime families extorting the Federal Goverment.
Insurance companies and people below the FPL who receive cost sharing / subsidy ... middle class folk got screwed. They called it a "wealth transfer" and they weren't kidding. Self employed people are either paying 12 - 1600 a month for their family or reduced to taking out a LBP (Limited Benefits Plan ...)

Last edited:
Insurance companies and people below the FPL who receive cost sharing / subsidy ... middle class folk got screwed. They called it a "wealth transfer" and they weren't kidding. Self employed people are either paying 12 - 1600 a month for their family or reduced to taking out a LBP (Limited Benefits Plan ...) I don't know if there is an answer ... people will say National health plan ... that would change everything in the U.S. ... high taxes on gas, etc ... I remember pre ACA and sometimes you get on the phone with someone who could afford to have a plan but just didn't ... I've wondered if the people who could afford it SHOULD be mandated in order to increase the risk pool so that there would be enough money on hand to cover the higher risk formally (pre ACA) medically uninsurables ..? Not good politics of course and perhaps therein lies the problem ..?

Pre-Obamacare, I had a Humana plan with a $7500 deductible . . . around $60 per month. I also sold a number of those to folks who were not willing to pay $130+ per month for a lower deductible, copay plan with almost the same OOP cap.

The per app commission wasn't much but the volume was enough to earn a $10,000 bonus for selling the Value Plan (I think that was the name) along with other major med plans.

Health insurance was affordable for most before Obama made it "affordable" by expanding Medicaid and screwing the middle class.

Last edited:
Pre-Obamacare, I had a Humana plan with a $7500 deductible . . . around $60 per month. I also sold a number of those to folks who were not willing to pay $130+ per month for a lower deductible, copay plan.

The per app commission wasn't much but the volume was enough to earn a $10,000 bonus for selling the Value Plan (I think that was the name) along with other major med plans.

Health insurance was affordable for most before Obama made it "affordable" by expanding Medicaid and screwing the middle class.
Could not agree more. It's funny to read you mentioning the Humana "Value" plan ... triggered the memory ... haven't thought of those in years ... at that time I lived in FL. ... you are in GA ... I remember doing a lot of Humana in both states ...

KFF seems to me to walk down the middle of the plane, neither right or left wing. The articles I have seen are on point and well researched.

NPR doesn't do much of their own research but more than willing scrape information from other sources including KFF, JAMA, NEJM, etc. and give the sources credit. Of course NPR does include their own spin on things.

Same for the American Association of Old People. I read their material and am also a member so I can get their periodicals. Sometimes I am alerted to a topic that is of interest to my clients and so I look for the same information but from less biased sources. My posts, newsletters, etc. will quote the data that I shepardize, giving credit to the sources that are not AAOP disciples.

The unaffordable care act was more of a sales pitch to the grifters and carriers than something that would truly give HOPE and CHANGE to folks who could use a hand. Throwing the baby out with the bath water was a stupid idea.

Last edited:
KFF seems to me to walk down the middle of the plane, neither right or left wing. The articles I have seen are on point and well researched.

NPR doesn't do much of their own research but willing scrape information from other sources including KFF, JAMA, NEJM, etc. and give the sources credit. Of course NPR does include their own spin on things.

Same for the American Association of Old People. I read their material and am also a member so I can get their periodicals. Sometimes I am alerted to a topic that is of interest to my clients and so I look for the same information but from less biased sources. My posts, newsletters, etc. will quote the data that I shepardize, giving credit to the sources that are not AAOP disciples.

The unaffordable care act was more of a sales pitch to the grafters and carriers than something that would truly give HOPE and CHANGE to folks who could use a hand. Throwing the baby out with the bath water was a stupid idea.
Do you think mandates for people with the income would have provided money for the medically ineligible or people under the FPL ... who couldn't afford a plan?

Do you think mandates for people with the income would have provided money for the medically ineligible or people under the FPL ... who couldn't afford a plan? Would you agree, there were a lot of people capable of having a pre ACA plan who did not? Why was that o.k. when by law we are mandated to have auto insurance? With either form of insurance, the uninsured passes those costs over to the carrier and the insured ...

Mandates rarely work as anticipated.

Most, if not all, states have auto insurance mandates but yet there are folks who drive without valid insurance.

The unaffordable care act mandates were meant to fulfill a campaign promise and never were effective in achieving the dream.

End of discussion . . .

Back