MAPD Enrollment grew 9% this year and will pass Medigap enrollment next year

Predicting MAPD vs medigap based on income is amateur.

I’m not predicting . I offer both and it’s what I see . If 22 apps last 2 weeks and 470 last 12 months is amateur then I’m am amateur!!!

Last edited:
All I have is a $500 moop with a $131 part b giveback :D

I looked up that plan in Miami and I’m speechless . $131 part B giveback ,$5 k dental , $400 glasses , $2500 flex card ,$0/$0 dr , 0 copay in hospital , $500 moop . That’s insane . If drs in network I could sell a 1000 a yr . That’s just insane . It’s really scary . Every agents business is in danger of being replaced with that . Call centers are going wild with that . That’s almost as good as a dsnp .

I looked up that plan in Miami and I’m speechless . $131 part B giveback ,$5 k dental , $400 glasses , $2500 flex card ,$0/$0 dr , 0 copay in hospital , $500 moop . That’s insane . If drs in network I could sell a 1000 a yr . That’s just insane . It’s really scary . Every agents business is in danger of being replaced with that . Call centers are going wild with that . That’s almost as good as a dsnp .

It’s typically made for someone who doesn’t care about a network. It’s always small.

The reason south florida has such good ma benefits is because they get much more cms reimbursement due to the highest rate of medicare fraud in the country.This is also why folks who choose medicare supplement in s. fl pay the highest premiums anywhere ( that I know of)

I’m not predicting . I offer both and it’s what I see . If 22 apps last 2 weeks and 470 last 12 months is amateur then I’m am amateur!!!

It's not the apps that make you amateur.

It's that you assume that most people want/need a Part C plan when they're low income or even medium income. I have low income people that don't want to worry about healthcare and will pay the higher amount.

I'll say this, the first question that I ask people when they're on the phone is "what do you know about Medicare?" The vast majority of the time is, "I know I don't want an MAPD plan, but I would like Dental and Vision."

I usually talk myself out of that D/V/H sale, because I think D/H/V is stupid. It makes the Medigap plan easier to sell. Sometimes people say, "I want to pay the least I can to get coverage." I know that's usually an MAPD sale, but I explain the limitations.

I'll tell you a story.

I had a husband call me. The Priority agent came out and sold he and his wife a MAPD plan. Wife was getting retinal injections every month. Wife started getting 1k bills. Luckily she was in trial rights, but I told them to call the old insurer, because I didn't care about the 25$ commission.

What's more important, knowing that her Medigap plan covered the 1k a month and she didn't have to pay 5k before she was fully covered? Or that she paid 2500$ (with the deductible) for Plan G and it was spread out over the entire year?

Travis I moved at least 15 people from medigap to mapd during aep( they called me ) . Many of the people I deal with make $30k or less in retirement . I present both and I always show a hospital plan to cover the daily copays with a cancer rider with mapd . For a 65 yr old it’s about $40 a month . Many had major medical threw their jobs with $5 k deductibles . Their comfortable and want the lower costs . I target lower income with 10 k mailers a month . I’m telling you they don’t want $150-$200 a month premiums . I’m not arguing medigap better coverage . I explain both products and they make the choice . It’s like when I sell life . They need much more coverage than they get . But they buy what they can afford .

They need much more coverage than they get . But they buy what they can afford .

A lot can still afford it but they just don't want to pay for it.

I don't sell medicare but I sell disability and LTC and it's the same scenario that you describe.

I give my recommendations but it's their money and will choose to allocate it however they best see fit.

I am still going to sell the policy, both for my business and their security but I'm not going to pressure someone into a policy that they don't feel comfortable paying for.

Ray I knew a guy a long long time ago that had a huge book of professional Di business . He did a ton of business with provident life and accident , mass mutual and Paul revere . I used to marvel how unknowledgeable he was but he was a likeable older country club type guy . What are top mga type commissions on di ? 80-90% and 10-15% lifetime renewals ? The 2 parts of ins that have the longest renewals are professional di and LTC . The clients are usually high income and younger so the policy’s can stay on the books decades .

I give my recommendations but it's their money and will choose to allocate it however they best see fit.

I am still going to sell the policy, both for my business and their security but I'm not going to pressure someone into a policy that they don't feel comfortable paying for.

I don't know if you ever sold life insurance or not, but that is how I got my start. Life insurance is always sold, not bought . . . at least that's the way it was in the dark ages when I cut my teeth on this industry.

Life insurance was something where I mostly failed . . . didn't have it in me to pressure folks into buying anything they didn't want, no matter how much they needed it. That sales process was unnatural to me. Had I stuck with it I probably would have ended up somewhere in a retail store.

Eventually I found my niche (health insurance) and never looked back.

People hate to be sold but they love to buy. I give folks every opportunity to buy what they want and that's fine with me.

You guys crack me up. Who cares what the shift looks like?

I sell MAPD for U65 (TX is stupid) and because I jumped off the cliff again because I was throwing away too much money for Part D.

I have a handful of "new" O65 people who insisted on MAPD. And now I am getting more and more referrals from people who just want a straight answer on what the MAPD does and does not cover and can't or don't want to get through UW. Whatever, as long as I don't get yelled at because MA sucks. ESPECIALLY, the DVH benefit. Its a bell...without the whistle thingy. DVH sucks 90% of the time. The numbers rarely work.

I try very, very hard to present Medicare 101 without bias. But at 100% referral, they pretty much already know they want Med Supp. Even at a low income, Plan N is a better deal than MA, ESPECIALLY under $50K. If they are retiring without savings, that means the $325 a day hospital copay and $6700 OOP is out of their budget. Someone who didn't save for retirement will do better with a monthly premium, $233 Part B deductible and $20 copays vs $6700 OOP if they get cancer. (And don't get me started on the hospital/cancer/whatever crapola plans)

If they ask my opinion, I tell them I am not allowed to give an opinion, but they can ask what my mom is on:

"My mom is on Plan G. And she will be on an Advantage Plan when I am so poor that I am living in my car"

Who cares? Go find people. Sell them something. If someone here wants to sell them something else, so what?

Back