MAPD TRIAL RIGHT

Brian Sarkisian

I had an individual call that is currently is 66 has Medicare Part A and B, and recently lost her Medicaid (5/2024)

She can enroll into a MAPD plan, however, would prefer a Medicare Supplement. She has never had a MAPD plan.

I have looked at the 2024 Choosing a Medigap Policy guide that talks about the MAPD Trial Right/Medicare Supplement GI Guidelines,
but I don't see anything that would fit this case.

I am just checking to see if I am missing something.

Thank You

I had an individual call that is currently is 66 has Medicare Part A and B, and recently lost her Medicaid (5/2024)

She can enroll into a MAPD plan, however, would prefer a Medicare Supplement. She has never had a MAPD plan.

I have looked at the 2024 Choosing a Medigap Policy guide that talks about the MAPD Trial Right/Medicare Supplement GI Guidelines,
but I don't see anything that would fit this case.

I am just checking to see if I am missing something.

Thank You
Caveat, I am not an agent.

Maybe you can do what you want for a few days more.

The Kansas insurance department puts out a Medicare Supplement shopper's guide. I just looked in that.

It lists loss of Medicaid eligibility as a GI situation for Medigap, however you only have 63 days from the date the coverage ends to obtain the new Medigap coverage.

Don't know what your state rules might be.

The MA Trial Right grants a beneficiary enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan for the first time, an SEP within the first 12 months, an opportunity to disenroll from that Medicare Advantage plan and return to Original Medicare as well as to enroll in a PDP. If the beneficiary previously owned a Medgap policy and had canceled it to try the MA for the first time, they would have guaranteed issue (Using the MA Trial Right), to get their same, former Medicare Supplement back. If their former Medicare Supplement is no longer available, then they could purchase an alternate.

In most cases, in order to enroll in a Medicare Supplement, your client would have to go through medical underwriting. Exceptions are guaranteed issue within 6 months of one receiving their Part B or loss of employer group coverage.

I am not familiar if there is guaranteed issue to purchase a Medicare Supplement, simply due to loss of Medicaid?

Also, is your client familiar with the monthly premium amounts associated with a Medicare Supplement? They would also want to consider their prescription drug costs. Will they still qualify for their LIS ( Low Income Subsidy)/Extra Help through Social Security to help reduce the costs of their drugs?

Back