Med Sup Guaranteed Issue from Moving

Spud

Expert
Hi, I am having consistent problems with MAPD 2 insurance companies (Kaiser and Healthnet...in Ca.) providing the proper language in their letter to their prior customers that have moved out of the plan's service area and want to enroll in a medigap plan in their new location. The process and sample letters are clearly documented on the CMS.gov website.

Anyone else running into this and have found a remedy short of filing a complaint with Medicare about the company?

Hi, I am having consistent problems with MAPD 2 insurance companies (Kaiser and Healthnet...in Ca.) providing the proper language in their letter to their prior customers that have moved out of the plan's service area and want to enroll in a medigap plan in their new location. The process and sample letters are clearly documented on the CMS.gov website. Anyone else running into this and have found a remedy short of filing a complaint with Medicare about the company?
I've done a few of these with Aetna and no documentation from the carrier was required. All they needed was a copy of the member ID card and some proof of the relocation, such as a utility bill. In one case they accepted a copy of the drivers license from their previous residence. I don't know what other carrier requirements are but it may be worth checking if you're having difficulty getting the MAPD company to cooperate.

I've done a few of these with Aetna and no documentation from the carrier was required. All they needed was a copy of the member ID card and some proof of the relocation, such as a utility bill. In one case they accepted a copy of the drivers license from their previous residence. I don't know what other carrier requirements are but it may be worth checking if you're having difficulty getting the MAPD company to cooperate.

Heck, Oxford will accept a handwritten letter from client explaining move.

Back