Med Supp mb moves to another state where current company doesn’t exist

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
Plan G member with Blue Shield of California Plan G is moving from Calif to Texas. Plan G Calif rate is double the amount of the Texas rate, so prospect would like a Texas plan. Does Blue Shield of Calif re-rate him for his new Texas zip code or does he continue paying the Calif premium rate?
I’m trying to write him into a Texas plan with the better rate, but not sure if he will pass UW. it is why I ask the question. He suffered a stroke 3 1/2 years ago and is on Carvedilol. Carvedilol does not appear as a knockout drug in UHICA guidelines.

If you take your Blue Shield of Ca Med Supp to another state, your out of state rate will be based on the highest zip code rate in California. Usually LA county.

Keep your current rate or change to a higher (or lower) rate when moving to another state seems to vary by carrier.

Same for when your rate changes. Some carriers change your rate when you notify them you relocated, many (most) wait until your next plan anniversary.

BCBS (all of them?) but defintley CA and TX, have an out of area rate. If they move out the state, they move to that rate.

If UHC won't do it, BCBSTX will and it should be cheaper than the BCBSCA rate.

INGLEWOOD???

BCBS (all of them?) but defintley CA and TX, have an out of area rate. If they move out the state, they move to that rate.

If UHC won't do it, BCBSTX will and it should be cheaper than the BCBSCA rate.

INGLEWOOD???

Blue Shield of Calif and BXBSTX are not of the same Blue Cross Blue Shield association. Does that matter?
And that would be without UW?

INGLEWOOD?!! Always up to no good.

Last edited:
Blue Shield of Calif and BXBSTX are not of the same Blue Cross Blue Shield association. Does that matter?
And that would be without UW?

INGLEWOOD?!! Always up to no good.

I only know because this LBC girl has done quite few of them. Not because of BCBS Association or not.

Check the BCBSTX premium. UHC if he can get it. BCBSTX via UW if he can't. It requires UW.

I only know because this LBC girl has done quite few of them. Not because of BCBS Association or not.

Check the BCBSTX premium. UHC if he can get it. BCBSTX via UW if he can't. It requires UW.
Is BCBS TX pretty lenient on their underwriting? I just picked them up bc I have a client that wants their U65 for wife before she turns 65 but I also have their Medicare. Haven't done anything with them yet

Back