Med Supp Presentation Outline

One last note, after giving the presentation and going over the outline of coverage showing them what the plan pays and what their balance is, if any would be, you might want to then highlight....(If you're talking to people that are just turning 65 and in open enrollment)

· First day coverage, no waiting period for pre-existing conditions
· Guaranteed Coverage With No Health Questions
· Medical coverage that can be used with any doctor or hospital throughout the U.S. that accepts Medicare.
· Automatic claims filing, no paperwork or claims to submit
These are important features to them. You'll probably want to end it with....you can have this coverage start when you go on Medicare, Oct. 1st. or whatever the date is.

You have a good selection...AARP will help also. I'm in Michigan and AARP only seems to be competative for ages 65-68 because of that 30% discount over a 10 year period. I don't know how it works in NC.

How is Blue Cross of NC? In Mi Blue Cross seems to be the company everyone wants. You might want to check into that company also.

If I were just starting today in the senior market, I would learn everything I could about...

1. Medicare, Medicaid & Low Income Subsidy Laws & Regulations
2. Medicare Supplements
3. Medicare Advantage Plans
4. Final Expense
5. Standalone Dental & Vision

... and get contracted with three or so companies in each area and identify any opportunities for leads from them. I would then plan, long term, on learning about...

1. LTC
2. Annuities
3. Whole and Universal Life

I'd then create a marketing plan that would focus on developing long term working relationships with professionals in...

1. Home health care
2. Wills, trusts & estate planning
3. Taxes
4. Assisted Living Facilities
5. Family Law
6. Banking
7. Real Estate & Reverse Mortgages
8. Insurance (P&C, Health, Group)
9. Financial planning

I'd team up with these professionals not only to share leads and be introduced to even more pros, but to create senior-oriented events and workshops around my community on more than just my area of expertise, as a group.

Next I would identify and become VERY active with the following local groups...

1. Senior Centers (volunteer opportunities)
2. 1 Rotary/Sertoma/Lions group
3. Senior Service Organizations
4. 1 Insurance group of pros in other industries (like NAHU)

Then, after all that, I'd hit the phones. Maybe. I hate cold-calling. I hate telemarketing. I hate door-knocking.

This is a tough, competitive business. Get the fundamentals down, know your products, know what else is out there, and you'll stick out from the crowd.

Mac

I love selling supps, it's the gateway product to just about everything else, especially LTC. I also think it is the easiest product to get into the house with.

I start my presentation by pulling out a peice of paper and and going over the part A, part B, and part D. I talk about the hospital deductibles and how it is a 60 day period, then I talk about the DRG's and how they work and how it is the goal of the hospital to get you out as soon as possible. I then go into how they release you to your home or a facility and how Medicare will cover 100 days at a facility and how they pay benefits for HHC. This should lead directly to a concern for LTC. At the bottom of the part A I talk about the coinsurance for days 61-150 as I see it to be the least important. I then go to part B and talk about the deductilbe, coinsurance and approved amounts and move on to explain the part D.

Hit every point with medicare but make it simple, talk about what they don't cover like dental, eye, etc. and show them in a simple way what they might be responsible for. Then I take out a chart of the plans and show them how each plan will cover the costs we talked about. By this time they should be asking how much and you should ask for the sale.

Unlike some on this board, I like to sell G, F and J. Most people I talk to want the best. I have never sold a D plan, F and J are pretty cheap in my area and I like some of the added benefits, as do my clients.

I also don't mess with part D. I send them down to Walgreens with a list of their Rx and tell them they will run it through a database to determine which plan will be best. They love this, it makes it seem as though I am helping put them in the best situation instead of trying to make a sale.

Upon delivery, I hit them with the need for LTC as I feel it is one the most important peices of their retirement plan. The supp presentation should have already sparked a concern.

I started in the senior market and started with supps. It was the easiest to understand compared to LTC and annuities and in open enrollment, there's no underwriting. One thing I will say is, you will not be hurting anyone by putting them in a medicare supplement regardless of your knowledge or presentation. On the other hand, you could be hurting someone by putting them into an MA and for that, you will need a much larger base of knowledge. Stick to supplements, find a good carrier with good prices and you should be fine. Stick to open enrollees. They know they need something and they are going to get something, the only question is from who.

Mom, I am a fellow NC agent, so pm me and we can discuss what I do,etc in regards to the medicare field.

Back