Med supp replacement question

Hey Guy,

I have no argument with you and sure as hell have no desire to get into a pissing contest. Actually I really didn't even know what you were talking about. I surely wasn't trying to bust your ass. I just typed what I thought was an innocent response.

You said the client has to contact the carrier and I said the client doesn't have to. Had we said, one way of canceling a policy is to contact the carrier, another way is just to stop paying premiums, this probably would have never come up.

There are two companies that more than just a couple of times have not stopped the bank draft on the day my new client requested and they had to request a refund. Maybe I'm just lucky that way, but I have had it happen more than just a few times.

Now who's having a bad day?

You're right. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was simply stating that just because someone fills out a replacement form doesn't mean the old policy gets canceled. The client still has to initiate it. Whether it's through a phone call or, as you do, by having them go to the bank to stop their draft. I wasn't stating that the client was REQUIRED to contact the carrier. Just that they have to do something. And in this case, I prefer to have the cleitn contact the carrier. However, if they just do nothing, they will continue paying for the old supp. Which we all know, a person can't have more than one supp.

I'm not trying to argue with you Frank. I stated something and you somewhat rebutted it. When I replied to your rebuttal, you seemed to have gotten a little angry. No need. I think we both understand what the other was trying to state now.

Now who's having a bad day?

You're right. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was simply stating that just because someone fills out a replacement form doesn't mean the old policy gets canceled. The client still has to initiate it. Whether it's through a phone call or, as you do, by having them go to the bank to stop their draft. I wasn't stating that the client was REQUIRED to contact the carrier. Just that they have to do something. And in this case, I prefer to have the cleitn contact the carrier. However, if they just do nothing, they will continue paying for the old supp. Which we all know, a person can't have more than one supp.

I'm not trying to argue with you Frank. I stated something and you somewhat rebutted it. When I replied to your rebuttal, you seemed to have gotten a little angry. No need. I think we both understand what the other was trying to state now.

Sometimes the light comes on and I'm not home. :D

I really am sorry for all the confusion.

Sometimes the light comes on and I'm not home. :D

I really am sorry for all the confusion.

I'm not asking for an apology. As I said, I could have worded my initial statement better. I have no doubt your light shines much brighter than most and there is rarely a vacancy sign.

The bottom line is a med supp is no different than an IFP. There are protections for the senior making it illegal for an agent to sell dupicate plans. (I get around this and double my income by submitting both an original and copy to the company).

Rick

Have you ever tried submitting it in triplicate rather than duplicate. The reason I ask is that Humana pays 8% commission on a med supp so you would have to submit it three times to get a fair commission.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you ever find that either you or your client, for what ever reason, wants the new policy to start later than the effective date you put on the application you can simply call the company and ask that they advance the effective date. At least I can with my carriers.

Thanks.

I am trying to figure this piece out:

Clients enroll in part B and get their medicare card and are good to go. In my limited experience, I notice that the part B effectivity date is often their birthdate when they turn 65.
Fine. However, medicare begins the first of the month in which they turn 65. And I am trying to enroll them in a supp so that everything starts up together.

So for example. I write a client on October 4 who turns 65 on say October 20 and the part B effectivity date on their card is October 20. Can I make the supp start up October 4 as well (subject to app approval etc) or is that gated by the fact that part B is not effective until Oct 20. Or does the Oct 20 effectivity date imply the first of that month as well.

Why wouldnt the feds issue a medicare card with an effectivity date of October 1 for part B if the client is a first time enroller and turns 65 in that month.

Winter

Last edited:
I am trying to figure this piece out:

Clients enroll in part B and get their medicare card and are good to go. In my limited experience, I notice that the part B effectivity date is often their birthdate when they turn 65.
Fine. However, medicare begins the first of the month in which they turn 65. And I am trying to enroll them in a supp so that everything starts up together.

So for example. I write a client on October 4 who turns 65 on say October 20 and the part B effectivity date on their card is October 20. Can I make the supp start up October 4 as well (subject to app approval etc) or is that gated by the fact that part B is not effective until Oct 20. Or does the Oct 20 effectivity date imply the first of that month as well.

Why wouldnt the feds issue a medicare card with an effectivity date of October 1 for part B if the client is a first time enroller and turns 65 in that month.

Winter

When a person first goes on Medicare the card is issued, usually a month or two in advance, with an effective date on the first day of the month in which they turn 65 for both Part A and Part B. Their Medicare starts on the first day of the month.

At least I have never seen one that had anything but the first of the month.

Part B is optional and they can opt out of it at that time and take it later. If they do then Part B will have a different effective date than Part A but I have never seen the date as anything but the first of the month.

Back