Medicare Advantage Plan Change - No Subsidy or other Valid SEP

Today I went on an appointment and met with a 79 year old man on a fixed income who stated that he had just changed his Medicare Advantage Plan from Coventry to UnitedHealthCare with an 8/1/2018 Effective Date through another agent, but he did not receive Extra Help or Medicaid benefits. Notes on materials from the other agent (who's phone number she hand wrote on the enrollment guide was disconnected BTW) showed that the agent was there about a month ago, the middle of July, today is August 16.

I checked Medicare.gov and he was, in fact, enrolled in the plan and had NO SUBSIDY. He hadn't moved in 3 or 4 years, none of the other election periods were valid. I found it odd. How could this happen??? Doesn't Medicare have to approve the plan change?

On a side note, there was also evidence he had applied through her for a Hospital Indemnity Plan that he definitely would not qualify for at a reasonable price for his age and health, if he could get approved at all!! Not to mention he is on a fixed income.

I have talked often to a prospect paying less than $10 for name brand, Drug (known to be a $40 copay on current plan) for example and yet thinks he does not have extra help.

They Don't always know

I run across that several times a year during the lock in. Agents will use LIS for SEP, when the member really doesn't have an SEP. It happens.

Do you have any chronic snp plans in your area? I’ve heard of agents applying for a snp chronic plan and when they don’t have a doctor sign off on the illness, the client has an sep to pick any plan. Nuts but true

Last week I discovered the same thing and the agent falsely put SEP- Change in Residence to steal the commission. Turning him in.

It could be an a C-SNP, UHC has a mega footprint on those, also it could be an SPAP SEP, which are not verified by CMS (apparently)....

Back