Medicare Advantage Plan

I don't think I said Advantage plans were going away " I hope they do" I just think if they stay, we will soon be out of the action. So if your smart enough to see the big picture and most of you are, I think we as agents need to be proactive.

Agents can do nothing. When they were holding hearings for Medicare supps standardization, agents flooded the commissioners offices in protest.

You know the rest of the story on that one.

Many agents left the business! Others accepted the new rules, and plugged along doing the same 'ol, same 'ol.

I would say transition into other products.....why do you think so many agents are pushing annuities? Medicare advantage and supps are scraps to an agent now...and it can get worse. Can those renewals get any worse? I'm getting $9/ mo on a MOO client; several others I get zero. One co just sent me a letter informing me that my vested commissions have dropped below a certain level monthly, (like $7.00); therefore here's a check for $3.87 and SAYONARA!!

DanDan--If you can, get your game plan in place and ready to go for this fall. Not only will we have to learn and pass a whole new set of CMS rules, there will probably be a few more state regulations to follow.

There will be plan adjustments and it will be another mad dash till December 31st. For example; MooP (Max out of Pocket) coverage will be highly encouraged by CMS for 2009. This will definitely get the actuary departments squirming.

Agents are a necessary evil for the carriers and so we have decent job security. Nobody knows (supposedly) which plan will be readjusted, underbid, or over priced for 2009. FMO’s will come at you with the kitchen sink. You’ll need to decide who’s best interest are served.

Get your ducks in line, as this fall will be the prelude to the 2010 mass exodus. Know your Med Supp market as well!

It is just human nature to think wise things and do ridiculous ones. -- Anatole France

Right now (the lock-in period) 2 main Medicare Advantage SNP companies I recommend selling are Coventry and Evercare. These 2 companies have very competitively priced products (depending on where you live)...some for $0.

This is just the start, if advantage plans stick around we agents are going to be out! .

I think that there will be some shifting from supps to ma's and then back to supps. Congress will never be able to eliminate ma's now. They are too entrenched as part of the landscape. But Congress will cut the reimbursement to them, especially since they need the funds to prevent the cut to physicians reimbursements that is in the works unless it can be turned around. So, the net effect will be that all of the no-premium or small premium plans will see a rise in premiums or a move to a premium where there has been none. Many seniors are going to just say, what the heck, for a little bit more I can just get a full supp and not need a batman decoder ring to figure out what is covered and what is not.

My thoughts anyway.

Winter

It's interesting that about 10 years ago in Los Angeles County, MAPD plans (all HMO) were generally zero premium, $0-10 OV, $0 cost hospital, 100 SNP and unlimited drugs. And all on 95% of the Medicare costs.

Now the plans have copays, crappy Part D benefits and they are getting 112% of Medicare.

I wonder if the "expensive" plans like PPO and PFFS will fall away leaving only capitated plans. Or if PFFS will remain at a higher premium charge for rural members.

Rick

Back