Medicare and expats

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Got a call today from a prospect living and working in Morocco. Her husband is T65 in November. He just signed up for Part A & B effective 11/1.

They spend about 9 months of the year overseas working. The other 3 months out of the year they spend in the U.S. visiting family and friends over the course of 2 or 3 trips. They have a residence in Texas which is their home base and tied to lots of things like their drivers licenses and most likely is the address Medicare has for him. Whenever they're back here, they get caught up with all their doctor's visits, prescription refills, etc.

As far as Medicare knows, he lives in Texas. I'm sure every Medigap insurance company is different, but will they let him enroll in a medsupp with his Texas address if he spends most of the year residing overseas? If so, what residence will the rate be based on?

Regarding a PDP, will he even be allowed to get one since he doesn't live in the service area? He'd like to get one because he'd be able to get meds cheaper than if he had to pay out of pocket. He's able to get enough of a supply with the 2 or 3 visits he makes home now, and would like to continue that if he can. They don't want to be deceptive or do anything unethical, but could they just use their Texas address and enroll in a PDP? If he can't, I imagine the LEP wouldn't apply as long as he's living abroad, right?

Anybody deal with any cases similar to this before?

Unable to enroll into a PDP -- From CMS
An individual who is living abroad or is incarcerated does not meet the requirement of permanently residing in the service area of a Part D plan, even if the correctional facility, institution or other place of confinement is located within the plan service area (see §10 for definition of “incarceration”).

I'm not up for an LEP lesson right now.

My two cents is as long as they have a legitimate residence in the U.S. that should be fine and I would certainly enroll them if I was in this situation.

Typically issues with travelers arise if they're receiving some sort of subsidy such as Medicaid or state pharmaceutical assistance (PAAD/EXTRA HELP), But straight Medicare with an MAPD or SUPP? Never have had an issue with those.

Medicare uses the address on file with SS.

I have a couple that maintain their residence in GA but "live" in a motor home traveling all over the country. Granted, that's not the same as living outside the country, but they maintain a permanent residence in GA and that address is what SS has on file.

They are fine with a M.S. and PDP in the states, because neither are on the hook for anything abroad anyways. They will need an International medical policy to cover them while outside the U.S., either their own policy or from their employer.

They are fine with a M.S. and PDP in the states, because neither are on the hook for anything abroad anyways. They will need an International medical policy to cover them while outside the U.S., either their own policy or from their employer.

You mean like a med supp?

Med Supps are junk when outside the U.S. They may reimburse for certain situations, but they are lost if sh*t hits the fan and you are looking for help or need direction to a capable facility. Or if you need to be flown to a hospital in a different country for care. Travel med is cheap, don't rely on domestic when abroad.

But you said neither were on the hook outside of the US. Whether you don't get the service you think you should get is another question.

I don't consider the so called foreign benefit something you can count on. So like I said neither are on the hook while you are abroad.

Back