Medicare + foreign nationals

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Do foreign nationals have the ability to "buy in" to the Medicare system and receive benefits just like U. S. citizens? A client has asked and I can't find the answer. Somewhere along the way I have heard they can buy in, but I am unable to verify at this time.

If you are not eligible for premium-free Medicare Part A, you can buy Part A by paying a monthly premium if:

* You are age 65 or older, and
* You are enrolled in Part B, and
* You are a resident of the United States, and are either a citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence who has lived in the United States continuously during the 5 years immediately before the month in which you apply.

That is from the Medicare.gov website. It does not give the rates. Best bet is to call them (1-800-MEDICARE).

For Part A, each month (in 2010) you will pay:
Nothing if you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for 10 years or more in the U.S.
$254 if you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes between 7.5 and 10 years in the U.S.
$461 if you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for fewer than 7.5 years in the U.S.
--------------------------------------------------

That's pasted from Medicareinteractive.com. Then they have to pay Part B and get a supplement.

Last edited:
I guess. I just did a google search and it came up. Guess I read it wrong. The only reason I even said that was where I got it was I didn't want to be accused of plagiarism. :nah:

Back