Medicare is wrong. Part B start date question... Help?

What do you mean?

From her e-mail, "They said they did not make a mistake, (and had received my forms,) but because I was in the initial enrollment period and not a special enrollment period, and had waived part B initially, I had to wait 2 months from the time I initially enrolled. The rep also said I did not need to complete the Request for Employment Information. I asked if they could change my effective date to 1/1/2019, but was told ,"no"."

I have a client that has done something similar although just 1 month out of IEP. He was T65 in sept but had employer coverage through Dec. He enrolled in Part A for Sept and the local SS office is holding his Part B application to submit it on January 2. The lady said that it would back date it to 1/1/19. If she filed it in December (which would still be his IEP) it would have went in to effect 3/1.

I know this isn't same scenario but similar. Very confusing on when you're trying to split the start dates.

In future if they are only looking at delaying 1-3 months my recommendation for my clients may be to just bite the bullet and enroll in both A and B.

Another option you could consider presenting to those clients,
if they are on a large group employer plan,
remind them that 65 is no longer full retirement age and ask them if they are willing to extend their employment 4 months or more beyond the birthday month which
a) reduces the social security reduction a little bit.
b) lets them use the large employer sep for part b.

[QUOTE="Todd King, post: 1277558, member: 3501"It's all because she delayed the enrollment. If she had not done that then things would have worked normally.[/QUOTE]

If by normally you mean geting a Nov. 1 start date that's true. But she was trying for a Jan. 1 start date that she had no ability to get no matter when she enrolled, normally or delayed.

Because of the rules regarding delayed enrollment no one can get an effective date two months after their 65th birth month no matter how well they time their enrollment. Any other month was available to her, either IEP or SEP, except January, depending on when she enrolled, assuming she was not born on the first day of the month.
  • 11/1 Part B start date if she had enrolled prior to her Nov birth month.
  • 12/1 Part B start date if she enrolled during her Nov birth month.
  • 1/1 Part B start date is not an option for anyone turning 65 in Nov (other than 11/1) no matter when or how the enrollment was submitted
  • 2/1 Part B start date if she enrolled in Dec, one month after her 65th birth month, which is what she did.

True. Maybe I would have been best to say that the very first thing she did wrong was to delay the enrollment. Anything after that was just bad icing on a bad cake.

The good news you will not make this mistake again. Once you know there is no sep during your iep it will help u w/ future clients.

Today I spoke with someone, T65 in May, ending employment coverage June 30, wants everything to start on July 1.

The good news is, now I know - that can't happen, and was able to direct him on possible solutions.

Forum (and experience) for the win.

[QUOTE="Todd King, post: 1277558, member: 3501"It's all because she delayed the enrollment. If she had not done that then things would have worked normally.

If by normally you mean geting a Nov. 1 start date that's true. But she was trying for a Jan. 1 start date that she had no ability to get no matter when she enrolled, normally or delayed.

Because of the rules regarding delayed enrollment no one can get an effective date two months after their 65th birth month no matter how well they time their enrollment. Any other month was available to her, either IEP or SEP, except January, depending on when she enrolled, assuming she was not born on the first day of the month.
  • 1/1 Part B start date is not an option for anyone turning 65 in Nov (other than 11/1) no matter when or how the enrollment was submitted
  • 2/1 Part B start date if she enrolled in Dec, one month after her 65th birth month, which is what she did.
[/QUOTE]
I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.

I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.[/QUOTE]
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare

I wish they had examples on the Medicare website to more fully explain how this sign up process works. Instead we all have to fumble through it like amateurs.
When does Medicare coverage start? | Medicare[/QUOTE]

Yet they want agent to tell people to go to medicare.gov and sign themselves up

I have talked to a few over the years that bought MA only policy not realizing what they did, By doing it that way

and now have drug penalties

Back