Medicare Not Covering Paramedic Services

wilkin

Guru
100+ Post Club
How can Medicare not cover paramedic services?

I have had more than one Medicare client call me after receiving a bill for $500 to $700 with instructions to pay up because Medicare does not cover it!!

Am I missing something here or is this always the case?

-Bill

I have had more than one Medicare client call me after receiving a bill for $500 to $700 with instructions to pay up because Medicare does not cover it!!

-Bill

I haven't run into this problem. Sounds more like the Paramedics in your area are unwilling to bill Medicare. Have your clients call Medicare. I went to Medicare.gov but could not find the definitive answer.

My client sent me the bill they received for $701.50. On the website of the billing company they state:

"Medicare will only pay for transports. Under current Medicare regulations, when an ALS unit is called as a secondary respondent to a scene, Medicare will only pay for the BLS transport and will not pay separately for the additional patient care provided by the ALS unit. If you have secondary insurance coverage, they will only cover the BLS service as well."

In this instance there was no transport.

-Bill
Go to page 26 of this pdf. It states that Medicare will pay for ambulatory services for medically necessary emergencies.

In fact, download that document and print off a copy for your reference. I find this to have many answers that I come across.

Last edited:
Back