Medicare Part D and MedAdvantage Plans

I had a senior(T65) last week with the following. He doesn't take any Rx's. Because he is still working(self) and making over 214k/year, his adjustment for Part D was going to be $66.40/month.
He declined to enroll in Part D. He understands the LEP.

Same decision I would have made in his situation.

I had a senior(T65) last week with the following. He doesn't take any Rx's. Because he is still working(self) and making over 214k/year, his adjustment for Part D was going to be $66.40/month.
He declined to enroll in Part D. He understands the LEP.

I also work with a few Medicare beneficiaries who are happy to take the late enrollment penalty instead of the high income penalty for Part D. At that income his Part B premium is $335.70, the maximum. Hard to do anything with that other than to pay up.

This brings another question to mind... if a high earning person who passed on Part D, then later enrolled and began paying the LEP, is the LEP based solely on the avg Part D prem only and not the income adj portion of the prem...? (the $ 31.17 mo avg Part D prem for 2013)

This brings another question to mind... if a high earning person who passed on Part D, then later enrolled and began paying the LEP, is the LEP based solely on the avg Part D prem only and not the income adj portion of the prem...? (the $ 31.17 mo avg Part D prem for 2013)

My understanding is that the LEP is based on the national base premium even for those subject to IRMAA, so they would not pay it on the adjusted portion. But if that isn't correct I'd love to know, too.

Which appeal from do you reference for lower incomes?
SSA Form 1020... for Extra Help or otherwise?
I didn't write that clearly enough. It's an appeal application for those whose income in 2011 put them into IRMAA but their income is lower now due to a life-changing event. SSA has an appeal form that, if approved, would remove the IRMAA costs for B and D. I've attached it. It's SSA-44.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-44.pdf

Attachments

• IRMAA Appeal Application.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back