Medicare Savings Programs

goldyfan

Hello, wondering if there might be someone with knowledge regarding Medicare Savings Programs per Medicare eligibiliy due to disability? I'm in Minnesota and looking for eligibility information and associated income and asset limits. Also specifically for the QI or Qualifying Individual program as I am a single adult. My thanks for contributing any info you may have. I have more specific questions and will add them if anyone can help. Thanks again!

Thanks, that information I have but was looking for further detail about asset limits. I have received benefits under the QI program for 10 years and I wouldn't bother folks here if I could get help from my caseworker. 10 years...can't reach on the phone and countless messages left. 10 years and not one returned call. I give up. I'm assigned a different/ new caseworker at least twice a year. Something tells me they don't like their jobs.

Thanks, that information I have but was looking for further detail about asset limits. I have received benefits under the QI program for 10 years and I wouldn't bother folks here if I could get help from my caseworker. 10 years...can't reach on the phone and countless messages left. 10 years and not one returned call. I give up. I'm assigned a different/ new caseworker at least twice a year. Something tells me they don't like their jobs.

LMGTFY

Forget it. I have this information. I need more specific details. Thanks.

Have you thought about just applying? I just help people apply for the low income subsidy if I think they have a chance. No cost to apply.

You’ll get answers that way.

I was hoping someone receiving assistance through the QI program would have a similar experience to mine and offer some information but maybe there is no one. I have qualified and received Medicare premium assistance since 2008. I am aware of the eligibility per income and asset limits. I qualify by, within those parameters. My only possession is a motor vehicle which is exempted from the asset consideration, as is a residence...if you own one. The issue I have now is the inheritance of a second motor vehicle. It is just a later model street legal and therefore licensed scooter. It only has a value of approx. $2000 therefore would still not elevate my assets above the threshold. My concern is if I title this scooter to me that a 2nd motor vehicle is an automatic disqualifier for QI Medicare savings program. If that is the case I can't own the scooter technically. I would need to title it to me for potential sale. Attempts to contact someone in the county agency administrating the Medicare Savings Programs have been unsuccessful in numerous attempts. Has me wishing I lived in a state that does not impose asset limits. Trying to play by the rules but can't risk losing QI as my SS benefit is my sole income and supplemental insurance I pay is bankrupting me, frankly.

I was hoping someone receiving assistance through the QI program would have a similar experience to mine and offer some information but maybe there is no one. I have qualified and received Medicare premium assistance since 2008. I am aware of the eligibility per income and asset limits. I qualify by, within those parameters. My only possession is a motor vehicle which is exempted from the asset consideration, as is a residence...if you own one. The issue I have now is the inheritance of a second motor vehicle. It is just a later model street legal and therefore licensed scooter. It only has a value of approx. $2000 therefore would still not elevate my assets above the threshold. My concern is if I title this scooter to me that a 2nd motor vehicle is an automatic disqualifier for QI Medicare savings program. If that is the case I can't own the scooter technically. I would need to title it to me for potential sale. Attempts to contact someone in the county agency administrating the Medicare Savings Programs have been unsuccessful in numerous attempts. Has me wishing I lived in a state that does not impose asset limits. Trying to play by the rules but can't risk losing QI as my SS benefit is my sole income and supplemental insurance I pay is bankrupting me, frankly.

I know that in my state (Indiana) you can own one vehicle of any value and it will not count against you. It could be a 2018 Rolls Royce and it has no affect on your Medicaid. But if you own two beaters the 2nd one counts as an asset so it uses up part of your allowable asset amount.

It doesn’t make perfect sense. But it’s the way it has always been.

Back