MedPay vs. Bodily Injury (what is the difference)

MIGA1626

Super Genius
Does anyone know the difference to these 2 liability items? They both sound like the same thing.

On an Auto Insurance Policy? Personal? Totally and utterly different.

"bodily injury coverage is part of your liability policy It only pays for the medical expenses for the other driver and passengers who were harmed if you caused the accident."
and
"Medical payments insurance pays for [you] and your passengers’ medical expenses, regardless of who is at fault. "

Source.

Your source is an attorney in Texas and only tells part of the story. For coverage questions I prefer to go straight to an insurance policy.

The Personal Auto Policy PP 0101 is the standard auto policy used by most insurance companies throughout the US. There are exceptions. Some companies print their own proprietary policies which may or may not be modified. Others in no-fault auto insurance states may also differ.

One part of the policy that is ubiquitous is the Liability insuring agreement which says (in part):

"We will pay damages for "bodily injury" or "property damage" for which any "insured" becomes legally responsible because of an auto accident."

"Legally responisible" simply means that a driver's negligence causes the accident.

An insured's liability for bodily injury to others includes, at least, the following:

Medical expenses, including expected future medical expenses.
Prosthetic devices.
Transportation expenses to and from medical providers.
Loss of earnings, including expected future earnings if disabled.
Cost of services that the injured person can no longer do for himself.
Funeral expenses if death occurs.
Pain and suffering.

An injured person's spouse may also have a claim for the loss of support and the loss of consortium.

With regard to Medical Payments coverage it is paid regardless of fault and is limited to the insured, family, and other occupants of the vehicle or as pedestrians.

I've posted a sample of the policy. I encourage people to read it, or at least read their own auto insurance policy.

On a homeowners policy (HO-3 is the standard) the Liability coverage is similar to the auto policy but the Medical Payments coverage differs in that it does not cover the insured or regular members of his household.

I've posted a sample of that policy as well.

Attachments

• Auto Policy - ISO PP 01 01 09 18.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HO 00 03.pdf
    367.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It is not, nor has it ever been, I who has the final say in coverage. Claim reps/adjusters are required to pay first party (the policyholder) claims in accordance with the words and sentences in the policy.

When there is a disagreement as to what the words and sentences mean, the final arbiter is a judge.

:yes:

Back