Mega Healthcare...creditable Coverage?

More interesting is the gov't risk pool mandates six months without prior creditable coverage yet insurers have to cover children immediately.

Good point....What is the basis for the 6 month period OTHER than to exclude the responsible people that have been paying for coverage that exceeds what they would pay for under PCIP and to stop those responsible people from jumping on PCIP.

I'm sure this program is helping some people that needed a plan like this but I think its more likely that many people here turned down opportunities for coverage before they were uninsurable and now want someone else to bale them out of trouble now that their gamble is not paying off.

I have referred several to PCIP. The ones I heard back from said they can't afford it.

From an agent's perspective, I look at the plan and, although it is crappy and you stand a better chance of finding a KKK member at an NAACP rally than finding a doc that will take you in, I think the rates are pretty good.

But what do I know? I am just an insurance agent, not a politician.

Well at least you didn't waste your time trying to find plans for them only to find that they couldn't have afforded them anyway. You're right, the PCIP is almost always cheaper than a rated-up health policy...especially for those over age 50 who get rated due to pre-ex.
-AC

Here in California, the PCIP.gov uses Blue Shield of California PPO network which is basically 95%+ of all the physicians in the state.

The network isn't the issue. The challenge is finding a doc willing to take on a patient covered by a plan that reimburses at Medicaid levels.

Good luck on that one.

Of course this is part of the master plan for anyone on a public assistance health plan. Pay the providers less and less in order to bring down the deficit.

Yeah, that will work real well . . .

Jim, same exact thing happened to me in Florida. The PCIP is a scam when dealing with people that accepted partial insurance, and favors people that aren't already customers of the insurance industry.

And the current news articles are all about the low PCIP enrollment - because, if you can afford it, you are probably already paying for *some* sort of insurance. I also have MEGA, with critical exclusions and a 10k deductible.

Thank you all.

Called carrier and appears it is creditable.

Next stop...letter to state senator on the irony of personally having a preexisting condition, yet being denied coverage to a plan called "Preexisting Condition Health Insurance.

Thanks again

Back