Mega Life-MidWest Life/from the Los Angeles Times

lifetimben

A health insurer owned by two Wall Street giants is headed to trial next week over claims it misled a San Bernardino County couple into buying a policy that left them with more than $140,000 in unpaid medical bills from cancer treatment.
Norman and Kathleen Carter of Yucaipa are battling their insurance company, even as Kathleen continues to fight abdominal cancer.
The couple sued a unit of HealthMarkets Inc. in August 2011 in Superior Court for fraud and breach of contract, accusing the company and its insurance agent of deliberately misrepresenting the health plan benefits. The insurer has denied any wrongdoing in court filings, and the case is scheduled for trial Wednesday.

HealthMarkets Inc. is Mid West Nat'l, Mega Life, Chesapeake Life.

I actually got my start in insurance with Mid-West. It didn't take me very long to figure out that there were problems with this organization. I guy in my office ended up in a case very similar to the case in the article you posted. So I left, and started selling Nationwide Farm Bureau...and convince one of the manager to come with me. I loved Nationwide, but it was bought out by Health Net. I then opened up my book to BC, BS and Kaiser. Glad I did. Until Obummer care.

Back