Mental Health Record Disclosure for Life Insurance

maiabee

Recently my husband had a life insurance rep over at the house, and we decided last minute that I should apply, too. At the time I didn't remember to mention an incident. Now, I don't know how to handle this.

I do not have a mental disability, but over 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child I had a lot of things going on. Not only was I dealing with pregnancy hormones, but my husband was unemployed and had the IRS breathing down his neck for 25k in taxes. I was also stressed about possibly miscarrying like I did before that pregnancy. So, that being said... husband and I got into an argument one evening and he was a real jerk and pushed my buttons. I took one of the handguns (which was loaded, with one in the chamber, as my husband has all the guns) and told him I was taking it as I walked out the door. I put it underneath the passenger seat and drove away for a short drive. When I get back, the cops pull up behind me, as my husband called them because he was "worried". Being as I have never dealt with cops, and I was really upset at my husband I tried to run inside. A cop chased me, and kept me from going in. The other cop found the gun and emphasized it being loaded. I had NO INTENTION of killing myself. I just wanted to go to extreme measures to make my husband worry at least for a bit because he was being a jerk.

Anyhow, the cop decided to take me to a psychiatric place as an overnight stay patient. I was not diagnosed with anything. I went in around 10pm and was released the next day in the afternoon. NOW that I am applying for life insurance for my son I am thinking about this embarrassing incident again -- which, per the cop, was not going on my record. I called around today and discovered I do have it on my file. At the time, I had pregnancy medicaid and was covered through them. The notes they have on file are along the lines of "depressed, anxiety, 14 weeks pregnant, and loaded gun". It is totally black and white, and an inaccurate representation of what really happened.

I don't know whether or not I should disclose this before my life insurance plan is finalized. I was not diagnosed with anything. It was a situational thing. I have no other mental health claims, I have never taken prescriptions for mental health, nor am I suicidal. I am really worried that I have ruined things for my son should something happen to me.

Please give me advice.

Last edited:
Recently my husband had a life insurance rep over at the house, and we decided last minute that I should apply, too. At the time I didn't remember to mention an incident. Now, I don't know how to handle this.

I do not have a mental disability, but over 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child I had a lot of things going on. Not only was I dealing with pregnancy hormones, but my husband was unemployed and had the IRS breathing down his neck for 25k in taxes. I was also stressed about possibly miscarrying like I did before that pregnancy. So, that being said... husband and I got into an argument one evening and he was a real jerk and pushed my buttons. I took one of the handguns (which was loaded, with one in the chamber, as my husband has all the guns) and told him I was taking it as I walked out the door. I put it underneath the passenger seat and drove away for a short drive. When I get back, the cops pull up behind me as my husband called them because he was "worried". Being as I have never dealt with cops, and I was really upset at my husband I tried to run inside. A cop chased me, and kept me from going in. The other cop found the gun and emphasized it being loaded. I had NO INTENTION on killing myself. I just wanted to go to extreme measures to make my husband worry at least for a bit because he was being a jerk.

Anyhow, the cop decided to take me to a psychiatric place as an overnight stay patient. I was not diagnosed with anything. I went in around 10pm and was released the next day in the afternoon. NOW that I am applying for life insurance for my son I am thinking about this embarrassing incident again -- which, per the cop, was not going on my record. I called around today and discovered I do have it on my file. At the time, I had pregnancy medicaid and was covered through them. The notes they have on file are along the lines of "depressed, anxiety, 14 weeks pregnant, and loaded gun". It is totally black and white, and an inaccurate representation of what really happened.

I don't know whether or not I should disclose this before my life insurance plan is finalized. I was not diagnosed with anything. It was a situational thing. I have no other mental health claims, I have never taken prescriptions for mental health, nor am I suicidal. I am really worried that I have ruined things for my son should something happen to me.

Please give me advice.

""It was a situational thing"" is the key.
Here is what I suggest. If the application was just taken and not sent in yet you _may_ want to make sure the agent does a trial application after shopping it with a mental health questionnaire. If it has already been sent and this information came up in an MIB check. It really is going to depend on what the underwriters say. If they decline or postpone you have an Independent agent shop it _before_ submitting the application.

If the agent knew about all this and sent it into the company and did not shop it to the underwriters first, get a new agent.

If the agent knew about all this and sent it into the company and did not shop it to the underwriters first, get a new agent.

x2, this case needs to be shopped before applying. You don't want to start getting declined by multiple companies and having that on your record too.

Back