Metlife Home and Auto or Liberty Mutual?

algieh1

Hello everyone! I am an agent for Shelter Insurance in Illinois. I am looking to relocate to either Texas or North Carolina. I am considering Metlife Home & Auto or Liberty Mutual. I know a little about each but would like more information. I would like to know more about their base salaries, commissions, renewals, benefits, assistance offered for marketing, fees they charge, and if they offer brokerage when proprietary products are not a good fit. I know a little more about LM. It seems to be harder to find information on Metlife Auto & Home. They mostly promote their financial & life side. I'd appreciate hearing from any agents that work or have previously worked for either company, especially if you live in TX or NC.

Thanks!

I'm looking at the Charlotte area but the Raleigh-Durham is also a possibility. I listed several things I would like to know about in my original post but if you need me to be more specific, please let me know. I would also like to know what type of training they offer. Is there a formal class or do you just figure it out as you go? And since I would be a W2 employee, how much of my time would they control (i.e. meetings, cold calling sessions, etc.?)

A little bit about LM. Base salary is usually around 25k, but is 35k during "onboarding" which is around 4 months.

The salary goes down to 15k over the next 3-4 years. You can make pretty decent 1st year commission, especially if you make your quarterly bonuses on auto. The bad is renewal...1% or less in most cases.

The onboarding consist of getting 300 or so names to xdate and call once you're on plan. Training is good, but it is a lot of online tutorials etc... you'll have 2 managers during training, yiur branch manager and your training manager. The benefits are good as far as the health, 401k match, PTO. They started implementing daily pep rally meetings and micro managing sales people last summer. I'm not sure what they are doing now. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! About the micromanagement. Do they require you to be in the office at certain times? For example, daily meetings or calling sessions of do you have more freedom to get your of the office and wrote business in the ways that work best for you?

Hello everyone! I am an agent for Shelter Insurance in Illinois. I am looking to relocate to either Texas or North Carolina. I am considering Metlife Home & Auto or Liberty Mutual. I know a little about each but would like more information. I would like to know more about their base salaries, commissions, renewals, benefits, assistance offered for marketing, fees they charge, and if they offer brokerage when proprietary products are not a good fit. I know a little more about LM. It seems to be harder to find information on Metlife Auto & Home. They mostly promote their financial & life side. I'd appreciate hearing from any agents that work or have previously worked for either company, especially if you live in TX or NC. Thanks!

Why do you have to choose? I've Got both as an Indy. Both commissions are better if you are Indy because you are responsible for benefits and overhead. As a result, the commission structure is different than the one mentioned above.

I understand the benefits of being independent but I am not financially prepared to take that risk right now. Yes, the commission's are higher but you also have to pay for everything yourself. Right now, moving to a new state and basically starting as a scratch agent, I feel it's better to have the support and resources of a captive company behind me. Particularly the base salary and health insurance. And if they offer brokerage, that helps, even if the commission's aren't that great. Although I believe Erie has a good scratch agent program but that would only be an option in NC since they don't do business on TX. It's something I plan to do in 2 to 3 years.

Hello everyone! I am an agent for Shelter Insurance in Illinois. I am looking to relocate to either Texas or North Carolina. I am considering Metlife Home & Auto or Liberty Mutual. I know a little about each but would like more information. I would like to know more about their base salaries, commissions, renewals, benefits, assistance offered for marketing, fees they charge, and if they offer brokerage when proprietary products are not a good fit. I know a little more about LM. It seems to be harder to find information on Metlife Auto & Home. They mostly promote their financial & life side. I'd appreciate hearing from any agents that work or have previously worked for either company, especially if you live in TX or NC.

Thanks!

If you couldn't make it with Shelter, what makes you think you can make it work by moving?

Who said I couldn't make it with Shelter? I said I'm moving to another state. If staying with Shelter were an option I would do it. However, Shelter doesn't do business in either of the states I'm moving to.

Back