Michel Sams On Combining Cancer Plans with Supplement Sales.

The presentation to the client is clever. Mention that two thirds of their cancer-related expenses are not covered by Medicare, leaving them to conclude that these are medical expenses Medicare won’t cover rather than almost entirely non-medical. If it were presented to these retirees that the largest non-covered expense identtified by the ACA is lost income, and includes things like long distance phone calls (showing how dated the study is) there would be far less interest.

It’s very unlikely that a senior citizen will run up non-medical expenses remotely close to $10K, let alone $20K or $30K, after a cancer diagnosis. Any non-medical expenses they do incur would be no different than with any other major illness that the aren’t buying a separate policy for. I had a rep call me from a carrier I place a lot of Medigap business with. He wanted to know why I’m not selling their cancer policies. I told him I don’t sell those clients cancer policies for the same reason I wouldn’t sell them Parkinson’s or rheumatoid arthritis policies, if they existed, because they have the best medical insurance they have ever had in their life.

With MA clients I do get the need and the rationale for having it. If I were interested in selling cancer policies to Medigap clients, I will concede the “package deal” strategy in this video is a great one, and, as already mentioned, also works well for dental.

The vast majority of my agents are focused on the MA market. As you point out, for those individuals there is absolutely a need and rationale for having it, although most of them will battle to pay even the smallest premium.

That being said the most of the people we work with on MA have been bamboozled into the wrong plan or are paying too much for their meds etc. It would be a great option to present to the client that you can save $100 a month by getting them Extra Help or putting them in a plan that's better set up to cover their particular condition or medications.

most of the people we work with on MA have been bamboozled into the wrong plan or are paying too much for their meds etc. It would be a great option to present to the client that you can save $100 a month by getting them Extra Help or putting them in a plan that's better set up to cover their particular condition or medications.

Are you suggesting you show them how to save $$ then turn around and show them how to spend those savings on something else?

I'm suggesting at least presenting it as an option if it's affordable or made affordable. Many of the people we see want the additional coverage, whether it be a burial plan, cancer plan or other, but have no way to attain it.

In most cases I will walk out of a house leaving the client with better coverage and more money in their pocket.

Combines a lump sum plan with every Plan G presentation.. Well presented video.

Thanks for sharing rousemark. Are you using a plan like this and if so can you give me some numbers? Say 65 yr male $20k. I currently use United National Life as my cancer plan. It is not just a lump sum though.

The presentation to the client is clever. Mention that two thirds of their cancer-related expenses are not covered by Medicare, leaving them to conclude that these are medical expenses Medicare won’t cover rather than almost entirely non-medical. If it were presented to these retirees that the largest non-covered expense identtified by the ACA is lost income, and includes things like long distance phone calls (showing how dated the study is) there would be far less interest.

It’s very unlikely that a senior citizen will run up non-medical expenses remotely close to $10K, let alone $20K or $30K, after a cancer diagnosis. Any non-medical expenses they do incur would be no different than with any other major illness that the aren’t buying a separate policy for. I had a rep call me from a carrier I place a lot of Medigap business with. He wanted to know why I’m not selling their cancer policies. I told him I don’t sell those clients cancer policies for the same reason I wouldn’t sell them Parkinson’s or rheumatoid arthritis policies, if they existed, because they have the best medical insurance they have ever had in their life.

With MA clients I do get the need and the rationale for having it. If I were interested in selling cancer policies to Medigap clients, I will concede the “package deal” strategy in this video is a great one, and, as already mentioned, also works well for dental.
As a cancer survivor who was fortunate enough to have medicare and a support when it happened, I can almost guarantee you my out of pocket expense was in excess of 10K.

Last edited:
Back