Misdemeanors & Licensure

gpxcdboombox

In South Carolina I have 2 misdemeanors: Feb 2010 failure to provide vehicle insurance upon request and March 2011 open container in public. I was not arrested for either. I showed up in court for both and paid my fines. I now live in Tennessee and wish to acquire an insurance license. Are these two misdemeanors going to prevent me from getting licensed? Any help is appreciated.

I recommend calling the licensing department at the DOI. I have found them to be extremely helpful in the past in answering questions. Call, get the person's name, ask and find out. Generally if the question is tough, they take your information and have one of the more senior people call you back. These are the same people who approve applications.

It shouldn't. Honesty is the best policy if asked about any convictions. The two you mentioned are minor. If they later find out you lie, it won't look good on you.
You can look up the threads with people who got worse on their records asking the same question.

VolAgent is exactly right, best to call the DOI. That said, in general misdemeanors only matter if it's lying, cheating, stealing, etc, indicators of dishonesty/poor ethics. Not having your insurance card or drinking alcohol doesn't generally fall into either of those groups. Maybe not the best at decision making or keeping paperwork around, but the insurance DOI is usually looking for something a touch more nefarious.

VolAgent is exactly right, best to call the DOI. That said, in general misdemeanors only matter if it's lying, cheating, stealing, etc, indicators of dishonesty/poor ethics. Not having your insurance card or drinking alcohol doesn't generally fall into either of those groups. Maybe not the best at decision making or keeping paperwork around, but the insurance DOI is usually looking for something a touch more nefarious.

X3 on what others have said. Call the DOI however I would be surprised if those items caused you not to be able to be licensed.

X3 on what others have said. Call the DOI however I would be surprised if those items caused you not to be able to be licensed.

I don't understand this fear agents have of calling the DOI and asking such questions. They will be happy to answer them. They are paid by the hour, they'd love to spend an hour with you about it.

I don't understand this fear agents have of calling the DOI and asking such questions. They will be happy to answer them. They are paid by the hour, they'd love to spend an hour with you about it.

Called a while back about Equity index CDs they happily spent hours on the issue and seemed very happy to speak with me.

let me say you should invest in a criminal defense attorney, for God's sake man an open container is not a misdemeanor and neither is failure to show insurance. maybe not having insurance is…don't know. anyways, those sound like infractions not misdemeanors .

let me say you should invest in a criminal defense attorney, for God's sake man an open container is not a misdemeanor and neither is failure to show insurance. maybe not having insurance is...don't know. anyways, those sound like infractions not misdemeanors .

Give the guy a break. He is concerned about making this his career and wants to know about something in his past, very reasonable question....And ever since CA charged an insurance agent with a crime for selling an approved product to a customer I would question anything...If your wondering what I am speaking of Google Glenn Neasham.

Back