More insurance brokers would choose traditional Medicare over Medicare Advantage: Report

What type of Medicare would you choose for yourself?

• Original Medicare with Medigap / PDP

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Medicare Advantage (MAPD)

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters

Yagents

Guru
5000 Post Club
Arizona
Seems like that most agents who are honest with themselves, would choose Original Medicare over MAPD when they turn 65. I of course would choose OM, what would you choose?

https://www.beckerspayer.com/payer/...medicare-over-medicare-advantage-report.html?

[EXTERNAL LINK] - The Challenges of Choosing Medicare Coverage: Views from Insurance Brokers and Agents

Most brokers and agents personally would choose traditional Medicare and Medigap over a Medicare Advantage plan. When asked, most said that they believe traditional Medicare, with the addition of Medigap supplemental plans, offers better health care coverage and choices, particularly as people age. One broker explained their choice, “If I ever have a medical issue, I’d want to be able to go to any physician I want.” A few participants, however, thought Medicare Advantage plans would be fine for their needs.

(Yes, only 29 brokers participated for a 105 min session)

It depends how my health is at 65 . If it’s good I’ll select a mapd with low moop . If it’s bad I’ll select a med sup .

It depends how my health is at 65 . If it’s good I’ll select a mapd with low moop . If it’s bad I’ll select a med sup .
You don’t buy health insurance based on you being healthy. Someday your health will go downhill all the way to the point that you will die from it. You want to have the health insurance coverage based on when you are unhealthy.

You don’t buy health insurance based on you being healthy. Someday your health will go downhill all the way to the point that you will die from it. You want to have the health insurance coverage based on when you are unhealthy.

But what level of coverage is the question. Nobody said go without it.

If you can save a considerable amount of money on the front end, the cost benefit of saving that and investing it could make a lot of financial sense.

And MAPD is not going without. It might mean you have to stay within networks. But is the OOP difference really any different?

So what we are really talking about here managed care vs. no networks.

I think Don just admitted that a Med Supp would be better for those whose health isn't great.

The problem is, you just don't know when you're going to cross that line. So, if you cross the line while on a MAPD, then you're stuck. If you already have a Med Supp, then you're golden!

Back