Moving from Michigan to Florida. Any caveats re moving resident license from one state to another?

MichFlor

Expert
I currently have my agency and individual resident license in Michigan. I also have non-resident licenses in Florida. I am moving to Florida and will need to change my resident license to Florida and get a non-resident license in Michigan. Has anyone made a similar move lately. Did you have any issues with residual commissions that I should be aware of? Any advise would be appreciated!

I would suggest you go to the source, www.fldfs.com
I'm in Florida and I find it's best to get it from the horse's mouth.
Thanks! I've done that, and will be submitting the Florida resident application shortly. I'm just curious whether others have had issues when they have had to surrender a resident license in a state, before reapplying as a non-resident. I'm concerned that my carriers will get a notice that my Michigan license has been surrendered and that might trigger them to stop paying residuals, even though I'll have a new non-resident license.

I moved from Georgia to Florida 2 years ago...appointed with just about every carrier from Dental to Long Term Care. Resident Georgia and non-resident Florida. You have to first surrender Georgia license to get Florida license.......so there is a brief period of time when your are not licensed, and that can be stressful. Had to call every carrier to report things like address changes, etc. Some were easy, some were PITA. Almost lost all my BCBS business due to their error and wound up having to re-contract and submitting AOR's for all my individual business, but luckily not my Medicare business. I probably had over 50 different carrier appointments to deal with. Florida will make you get fingerprinted, even if you did it before to get the non-resident. $45

Moving my S-Corp from Georgia to Florida was just a question of some legal fees and dual state reporting for a partial year.

Let's just say it all gets worked out eventually, but personally I hope I never change states again. Nice to save on state income taxes, but they get you on taxes for everything else to make up for it. Then there is home owner's insurance when you live at the beach. Not cheap.

Best of luck

As yankee mentioned, there is a brief window where you are not licensed. I have a downline agent who did this a couple years ago, changing from TX to OK, and during that changeover he submitted an Aenta MAPD application. They later told him he was not "ready to sell" or something like that, because of that brief unlicensed period. He didnt get paid on that sale.... so dont submit business until youre back up and running with the new license.

Back