Moving to Another State but Want to Keep My Business

Hello! I am a young agent in my 30's, and I have built a fairly nice book of business in my home state of GA. My wife and I are seriously wanting to move to Florida, and I plan to continue to work in the employee benefits arena there. However, I'm concerned about losing my existing GA clients.

I am thinking of maintaining a small office in GA so as to maintain my presence here. I will also have to come back periodically to renew the business, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done what I'm thinking of doing, and whether they had success at retaining their book of business.

Also, if anyone has knowledge of the FL group health market, I'd love some feedback there. FL seems to have tons of businesses.

Thanks!
Yes, I've done it and no, it was not all that successful.

The larger groups, I transitioned to another firm and stayed involved with for 3 years (50%, 30%, 15% of comp). I wish I had sold outright.

The smaller groups? It was impossible to hold on.

Hope it works out, I know a friend of a friend..had a business in a northern state then moved to Fla. (I BELIEVE the agent was for one of the bigger companies) The agent left and then another agent in the area re-wrote all the clients and cut off the income the agent was counting on while setting up the new office in Fla.

Back