Much needed advice for a new agent - Property and Casualty

DaYna

I am a newly licensed agent with no insurance experience seeking advice for moving forward. I am a partner in a tax business that has been in business for over 25 years and I would like to expand our services to offer insurance products, starting mainly with Property & Casualty lines and eventually expanding into life insurance products. I would like to gain experience and then open my own insurance agency as an insurance broker; however, I am not sure the process in order to make this happen. I thought I should work for an agency initially in order to gain experience; however, now I am unsure. I was offered a position with Country Financial with a starting salary but I don’t know if I should accept it knowing that I won’t own my own book of business and take my clients when I start my own agency.

Has anyone been in a similar situation as me? I would like to gain experience but I don’t want to lose clients that I have established by running a successful tax practice either.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Why not work out an agreement to partner with an established agent and send business to him and he sends business to you until you get a feel for how the insurance business works? That is a win/win client and money wise. You earn from your referrals, he earns from his and work out a divorce solution for when you go off on your own

I recently found a new P&C model that you should consider 1+2=ULI. All the typical head aches and expenses associated with the traditional P&C model are reduced or eliminated completely.

I recently found a new P&C model that you should consider 1+2=ULI. All the typical head aches and expenses associated with the traditional P&C model are reduced or eliminated completely.
I think you forgot the hyperlink

There is a pretty hefty learning curve to learn p&c, especially if you want to write any commercial. You will need to write a substantial amount of business for many years to make it worth the substantial training and overhead, depending on how you go about it.

Personally I am full time p&c, commercial only. I have done very well, but I took on substantial debt the first several years to make it work.

I would suggest you partner with a reputable p&c agent and refer it out. If not I can pretty much guarantee you will lose clients as you fumble around (like we all did) learning the business

Back