My auto insurance is going to lapse for 4 days

In NC, ONE DAY lapse with an active tag WILL get you a fine. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 (actually you'll PAY $50-$150). The reporting is very quick and efficient. Depends on the state but that's how it is here.

Because like most people with money problems, 4 days can turn into 14 days or 40 days and next thing you know you cause an accident without insurance and you wonder why your world comes crashing down on you.

Don't worry, in Michigan they will always have the best unlimited medical & wage loss in the world even if not insured at the time. Michigan is so messed up with no fault that the PIP order of priority is your own policy, if none then the insurance of whoever you live with even if not listed on any policy, if not then the person whose car you are riding in, if none then the person driving the other car even if not at fault. if none of those people have any active auto insurance, they then hand the lifetime of unlimited medical bills claim to the next insurance company on rotation to pay the claims from the Assigned Claims program.

No kidding, this is how it works for the PIP. So, unless the person has assets to worry about losing in a Liability suit, the items you mention of causing the world to come crashing down wont impact a person without anything as the lawyers wont try to sue if you don't have anything. This is why Max Underinsured & Uninsured is so important in Michigan with such a high % of population driving without active insurance.

Plus Auto insurance has to pay the medical facilities the max billed rates to make up the losses for the hospital for WC/Medicaid/Medicare/health plan much lower pricing

Just read a blurb online of a Michigan driver who pulled into a gas station for a fill up and state cop behind him did a random check and issued a $500 ticket for no insurance.

I sure hope so, but I am skeptical. Police have had that ability for 2-3 years, but we generally see people pulled over for other reasons, get a ticket for not having auto insurance & they then run to the neon light corner high risk auto insurance agent selling the General to get a 7 day policy or something. Many times, that will get them a pass on the fine for not having insurance, kind of like fixing a broken tail light

djs, Adjusterjack likes to come on this site and make up crazy things, misleading, confusing, and ultimately harming people looking for advice.

I've brought it up to him multiple times, but that hurt his feelings and he believes he should be able to share his opinions - at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately I guess we have to put up with him until he is kicked off the site.

I don't know about MI, but in SC there is no grace period. You get fined day one. I won't remove a vehicle from an insureds policy until the tag has already been turned in.
I don't know anything about your previous quabbles with adjusterjack, but this is something he might not want to mess around with.

I don't know about MI, but in SC there is no grace period. You get fined day one. I won't remove a vehicle from an insureds policy until the tag has already been turned in.
I don't know anything about your previous quabbles with adjusterjack, but this is something he might not want to mess around with.

Agreed. But turning in the plates, as adjusterjack said?

Agreed. But turning in the plates, as adjusterjack said?

Depends on the state, as I mentioned. At best, it will save him a fine, while h is probably kind of a big deal if he is already in a position of having to allow his insurance to lapse.
At worst, it will prevent him getting his license suspended. Either way, turning in the tag is the thing that prevents the consequences of lapsed auto insurance.
Again, state DMV's May differ, but here you can easily get the tag re-issued without cost.

Latest posts

Back