Need Advice from Experienced Commercial Agents

The good news is that a lot of agents are reaching retirement age and there will be a lot of account movement in the next 5 years. That... and once you do get to the critical mass... retention is easy and referrals come easier. 3-5 years of very hard work is worth it.

Well that is light at the end of the tunnel.....I just hope it's not another damn train.

I am amazed when I go to carrier seminars and, at 52, I'm one of the youngest there.

And I'm just entering the first round of renewals. What,I get paid again? What a concept!

Well that is light at the end of the tunnel.....I just hope it's not another damn train.

I am amazed when I go to carrier seminars and, at 52, I'm one of the youngest there.

And I'm just entering the first round of renewals. What,I get paid again? What a concept!

Trying being 32 and going to agency owner meetings... I feel like an infant.

I'm 52 and have been in the biz for only two years. Health insurance had been a nut buster. Hardest sales I've ever done. Going to move over to P&C as it doesn't have all the hurdles that health does.

Anyway, the incumbent is the person they know for better or worse. People are afraid of change and you are the devil they don't know. Find problems, find solutions and get something down concrete that they will do business with you if you bring them a solution. Otherwise you are just a quote whore.

I'm 31 and have the same feeling. I don't know another independent agency owner my age, hopefully that will mean more opportunity in the future.

My goal at every new prospect appointment is to leave them feeling less satisfied with their current situation. But you have to be subtle because if you rip on the incumbant the prospect may get defensive and at that point the sale is pretty much gone.

I'm 52 and have been in the biz for only two years. Health insurance had been a nut buster. Hardest sales I've ever done. Going to move over to P&C as it doesn't have all the hurdles that health does.

Anyway, the incumbent is the person they know for better or worse. People are afraid of change and you are the devil they don't know. Find problems, find solutions and get something down concrete that they will do business with you if you bring them a solution. Otherwise you are just a quote whore.

Oh...you're going to find a whole new set of hurdles in P&C. But, best of luck.

P&C and Health are a whole different sale as you have the pricing dynamics.. but with a soft market the pricing is just about equal anyway... the incumbent can match your price 90% of the time. You still need to break the relationship and take the customer.

Understood that it still won't be easy at all. Just more opportunities for me than I have now in health.

Back