Need Help: I'm A New Independent Insur Agent in FL

I've been researching and speaking to smart choice recently - it seems like they do not allow the agent to have binding authority......which is not ideal.

Binding authority comes with a direct contract with a carrier. With a cluster or aggregator, the goal is to allow you to work towards an appointment at a much lower entry point (that means faster) than if you were to do it yourself. For instance, let's say that Travelers Personal requires a $500k commitment in 3 years. A cluster/aggregator may be able to get you an appointment when you have $100k or less with the carrier because they already have millions with Travelers and you're "participating" in that relationship. If you're a hustler, you should be able to do that in a year or less, meaning you could renew all those clients into your code/contract at renewal (more commission). Then you potentially could have more authority, like binding, depending on how the cluster/aggregator works. The key here is, generally speaking, you have more access when you work with/through another company. Just understand what the benefits, responsibilities, and exit strategy (if needed) is.

I started a year ago with a cluster (localized to my area) and it's been a solid situation (focused on commercial though, not personal). It gives me much more access than I would otherwise have had. Got one direct appointment with them within a few months of starting up (aside from other direct appointments I obtained when starting the business) and planning about one per year (of major carriers like Travelers, Liberty, etc) going forward. These are players that would require $500k+ commitments but now are accessible for much less. You also often get day one contingency which can make a big difference.

My suggestion would be to find the one that best matches your vision and go all in. Remember to ask if/how you can use comparative raters, etc. If you really want it, you'll figure it out.

Last suggestion, read E-Myth Insurance Store (or original E-Myth). It's available free on Hoopla (app) or you can probably find a copy online to purchase. Lots of other great books out there too, but this will prepare you for the correct mindset (building a company/enterprise) vs. buying a job.

My best to you!

I havent come across PGI yet. i'll have to research them. Anyone here use PGI?

@shawnmwalker is on this Forum and can give you the PGI details.

Isn't Citizens like the only carrier writing HO in Florida? Tough market for companies to do business in. With no market access, you are really limited.

What's the deal with your current Indy position as a producer? Maybe a different Indy shop would be the best place for you.

Dave

Back