Need Some Help with an overweight life insurance Client

Should be eligible for the Express issue Deluxe Term Plan (20 years) with UHL no problem ($50k Max). Ht/Wt and insulin diabetes would be OK. Age 31 FNS is $20.13/mo for $50k

If no Insulin, than they should be eligible for UHL Express Issue Term Plus 20 year plan. max Ht/wt is 270 for 5'4". can go as high as 200k. Age 31 FNS is $26.04/mo for $100k

Last edited:
Insurancemonkey,

What kind of view would you have on this if the PI in this case had an LDL above 140 and/or Tri's above 150?

My experience has been the least amount of consistency exists when it comes to cholesterol.

BP tends to be pretty much the same, but cholesterol varies a good bit, though I would argue arteriosclerosis risk would be more problematic with elevated lipids than by hbp alone.

Yea, I tend to discount trigs** because they are all over the place all day long depending on what you ate and when you ate it. That and the range is meant for a true 12 hour fasting and client's are notorious for not fasting, mis-remembering when they last ate, ect. I bet most of the labs I see are less than 12 hours. (It's a RARE lab where everything is within the normal ranges) Cholesterol is less volitile but like you said, it also varies a fair bit. Less so within the day like the trigs do, but across seeral days you can get some substantial fluctuations.

(**EXCEPT if they're over 500. Supposedly in a healthy person they should never get above 500 even if you ate a bacon wrapped deep fried snickers bar an hour before the blood draw.)

We're pushed to primarily really look at the Chol/HDL ratio. That's a pretty stable lipid indicator. Some companies are looking at LDL/HDL ratios, but that's not a common industry standard yet.

Interesting I've never heard anybody mention a 12 hour fast. Most are lucky to get in 8 hours.

I've always told people to do it first thing in the morning. Of course, the examiner is trying to schedule that 1pm appointment too. After all, they don't want to work for just a few hours every morning. How many people fasted 8 hours before their 1pm blood draw?

Back