Need to Place Individual with Insured Pregnant Spouse

Blue Shield has Active Start which are RightPlan clones but also individual only coverage. I would never recommend a Health Net PPO plan. Shield also has some newer plans some of which might be individual only.

Dave - Yes, I know pregnancy is an auto-decline for carriers. And yes, I know why male spouses can't get insurance.

I guess I've had better success with AIM. When I've had situations come up, AIM almost always was a fit. Most families with higher income tend to have coverage through work. It's not 100%, but I probably run over 70% getting them into either group or them successfully applying for AIM.

Actually, I've had more failures with AIM due to income being to low, where they would actually qualify for Medical, but they want something better than medical, or medical is dragging their feet. This is usually some sort of procrastination on the mom's part, but, face it, medical is a painful system.

In fairness, I haven't sent someone to AIM in over a year where I have tracked their success in getting on the program. It might be tougher now, but the income ceiling for a single pregnant person is $3644, add a spouse and it is $4579 monthly. In the bay area, with a working couple, this is pretty low, but a lot of people who need the coverage do qualify.

Yes, outside of medical, aim, or starting your own small group, you are on the self-finance plan.

Dan

If you are in Ca, this prospect has many options with both Anthem Blue Cross, and, Blue Shield of California. Both companies have "subscriber only" contracts. Meaning, dependents can't be added. I looked at just Blue Shield of California and they have 9 plans this man would be eligible for.

The reason a male only applicant is declined (w/girlfriend/spouse preg) is because of the risk of the newborn. Lets say the newborn is a premmy. If the dad had a health plan that allowed deps, the dad could add the premmy guaranteed and the carrier would be stuck with tens of thousands in claims.

Back