Needing a B/D To Offer VAs

ChicagoProducer

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm no longer securities licensed but one of my agents is. Thus, his insurance license lines are "life and variable annuities"...I would like to accomodate his v.a. business but we'd need a b/d relationship for that. Any suggestions on how my insurance agency could get selling agreements with v.a. companies (namely Pru HD) and make everyone happy?

Thanks...

Have your agent become an RIA, he or she would then get all of the GDC, of course his expenses go up, and there's a bit more work involved for him or her. I'd say get ready to front some money.

You cannot offer Variable Annuities for commission under an RIA.

Commission based securities sales must be done under a Broker/Dealer.

There are fee-based variable annuities for the RIA platform available from a select few companies.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BTW, I'd let HIM worry about his own B/D relationship, licensing and FINRA compliance hurdles.

Otherwise, to be compensated on this agent's business... YOU would need securities licenses (6 & 63 or 7 & 66) and a B/D affiliation PLUS a supervisory license (Series 24 or 26).

With all the record keeping compliance, email retention, appointing a compliance officer... all this stuff... just to get a little extra % of commission on one guy's business?

I'd think twice about going down that road.
With the supervisory license, you may also share in the liability of his recommendations.

Do you really want that?

Last edited:
You cannot offer Variable Annuities for commission under an RIA.

Commission based securities sales must be done under a Broker/Dealer.

There are fee-based variable annuities for the RIA platform available from a select few companies.
BTW, I'd let HIM worry about his own B/D relationship, licensing and FINRA compliance hurdles.

Otherwise, to be compensated on this agent's business... YOU would need securities licenses (6 & 63 or 7 & 66) and a B/D affiliation PLUS a supervisory license (Series 24 or 26).

With all the record keeping compliance, email retention, appointing a compliance officer... all this stuff... just to get a little extra % of commission on one guy's business?

I'd think twice about going down that road.
With the supervisory license, you may also share in the liability of his recommendations.

Do you really want that?

At least one person is paying attention. You are absolutely correct.

Back