Networking Events for New Agents

You need something to say first... then go find someone to say it to.

Most of the industry is backwards. "Give me 200 people you know." As if that means anything.

Find me people who have a problem and want to solve it. I'll market the problem I solve and look for people who want help in solving it.
I agree to an extent but most people don't know they have a problem.

That's why I prefer online marketing, people have already figured out that they need something and then are looking to solve that issue. Same with BRC marketing.

Talking to people all day about their problem that they didn't know they had is exhausting.

I agree with that.

Back to @JTylerH

Considering that most agents get the advice of "go get known in your local area"... but they are just known as people, and worse as 'another insurance agent'... I'd rather get known for the problems I solve than the products I sell.

That's why you need something to say.

One of the best niches (that really isn't for new agents) is to work with families with children that have special needs. The problem is in the event that the child has too many assets ($2,000 or more) in their name when they turn 18 and they can become disinherited from their social security disability benefits.

People can automatically think of people who fit that category and when they see the need to share WHY they need to get you in front of them... the rest gets easier.

But if you can follow that idea: lead with the problem, make it easy for others to think of who else needs to hear it, and then follow through.

I found those networking events mostly a waste of time, but then there was a weird period of time whereas almost every networking event I went to I was walking away with a solid lead or a sale, so there you go.

YMMV.

If you don't have someone to say it to, how are you going to sell anything? :err::huh:
I'm gonna have to go with this one.

You can be a walking encyclopedia but if you're not talking to people who are you going to sell?

Project 200? I remember a Project 100 and a Business 100. Put out by LIMRA. No idea if they're still around today.

Networking events. I wouldn't walk across the street to attend one but that's just me. I do know if that's your main focus you're going to starve to death.

Since you're new, I suggest that you google a man by the name of Alfred Granum. One of the biggest GA's Northwestern Mutual ever had. Since you're a career guy you've probably already heard of him.

Big Al invented the One Card System. I started on it back in the 70's and it's probably the best thing I ever did.

The OCS teaches a simple approach that almost always works ... assuming you have someone to talk to. It revolves around a simple question: Would You Have Any Objection To Talking To Me About Your Life Insurance Program Sometime? There are only three possible answers.

This, a legal pad and pen is all you need to sell life insurance. No need to complicate it
with all this other jibber jabber.

I appreciate the insight. My takeaways are:

-Have something to say
-Then find someone to say it to
-Life is one big networking event so there's no NEED to go to these events, unless one feels motivated to do so
-There's no, one size fits all for us agents, but the essential aspects are universal
-When do I get the Glengarry leads??

I appreciate the insight. My takeaways are:

-Have something to say
-Then find someone to say it to
-Life is one big networking event so there's no NEED to go to these events, unless one feels motivated to do so
-There's no, one size fits all for us agents, but the essential aspects are universal
-When do I get the Glengarry leads??
That's about as good as anyone can put it.
Except for the last one. Not knocking it. Just don't have a clue who you're talking about.

I don't do leads. I use the old Suspect, Prospect, Client and Deadfile system.

Back