Never Filed a DOI Complaint Until...

Non-competes are so rarely enforceable. Just had one of those go to court between two agencies here (not mine) and the one that was trying to enforce it couldn't. Rarely stands.

As for the client, it isn't about that. It's only a $10,000 account that isn't that big of a deal. If he walks so be it. This is about principle.

I think what DJS keeps missing is that the ex-agent isn't licensed any longer (expired July 1 this year) and they have no current agency affiliation in which to transact business. Both of those things are in black and white on the Kentucky DOI website. Again, principle.

Will let you know what comes of it. Maybe something. Maybe nothing.

I think what DJS keeps missing is that the ex-agent isn't licensed any longer (expired July 1 this year) and they have no current agency affiliation in which to transact business. Both of those things are in black and white on the Kentucky DOI website. Again, principle.

I didn't miss the point about the license at all. Kentucky might be different, but there is a lot of marketing you can do in an agency without a license in most states. As long as he isn't paid a commission and isn't discussing specific coverages / providing quotes, in most states, there is no issue. Again, KY might be different in this regards.

You are correct, for employees, Do Not Competes usually are not worth the paper they are written on.

Dan

spend money on the attorney & scare the $hit out of the ex producer. If you can substantially outspend him then strike the fear of god into him.

....I just got into litigation w/ a contractor who attempted to screw me out of $24,000 on a large deck i had put onto my house & because I was financially able to outspend him on legal fees...he crumbled & I got a deck at cost. Had I have been complacent, there's a handful of scenarios I could have lost out on money.

be ruthless.

most state DOIs are a waste of time honestly..

do you know how many complaints they get? mostly on the consumer side??

some people file complaints if their rate goes up 1% or something.. most complaints just get filed and forgotten about.

when I still had my RRG we were very small so we had to fight claims pretty hard to stay afloat.. we always got hit by the large attorney houses that targeted the low limit insured's hoping for a quick settlement of $10-$15k and lived off getting large volumes of those because most large carriers will gladly pay $10-$15k to close a claim.. we just couldn't.

My senior claims adjuster was an old school guy.. started at INA.

He said the rule is with these assembly line attorneys.. first time they send a letter, trash it. first time they call, let it go to VM.

If they then continue, that is when you get serious.

He said you wouldn't believe the amount of suits that just went away because the lawyer didn't want to put in the work of sending a second letter of rep.

needless to say the DOI knew us well.. but we didn't do anything illegal and they didn't mind because we were offering taxi drivers coverage at prices no large carriers could.. because we were aggressive on claims.

now it doesn't matter because uber has taken over.. :D

KY DOI actually enforce agent conduct issues???? You have to be kidding me. I have sent written PROOF of agents lying to customers or otherwise breaking the law in an effort to get their business, and the KY DOI absolutely does not want to enforce their own laws. They will NEVER make a finding of a market conduct violation against an agent unless the agent literally steals the client's money (and I've known agents who even got away with that).

KY DOI actually enforce agent conduct issues???? You have to be kidding me. I have sent written PROOF of agents lying to customers or otherwise breaking the law in an effort to get their business, and the KY DOI absolutely does not want to enforce their own laws. They will NEVER make a finding of a market conduct violation against an agent unless the agent literally steals the client's money (and I've known agents who even got away with that).

Truth .. DOIs just get way to many nit picking complaints that the fact is unless you are ripping off hundreds of thousands or millions .. they don't pursue.

Back