New Agent Having Trouble Being Appointed.

amalgam19

This is a complicated situation but any advice would be kindly appreciated. I have recently been licensed in Nevada in P&C with a 1033 for previous felony. I have not committed any sort of theft or fraud ever, my charge was a battery. The issue that I have come to learn is that most major carriers such as State Farm, Farmers and Geico do not hire anyone with a record. I believe the worst part is that every single one of these companies have given me a job on the spot until they know I have a record. I even had a Farmers agency owner go directly to corporate to see what he could do and naturally I was denied.

What I would like to know if anyone has any advice for me in how I could possibly get my foot in the door. I have previous sales experience as well as managing a business and am a college graduate. I have recently been applying to independent agencies but those jobs seem to be a little tighter and fewer. Thank you, any advice is welcomed in the cynical responses are appreciated.

Why do you want to sell insurance?

Not being mean, but this is a hard business to begin with and why do you want to put yourself through this?

You've seen how the industry views your record, Insurance companies don't want the hassle. So why do you want to do this?

LGilmore,

Thanks for the response. My parents ran independent agencies for many years. Sadly it was while I was off doing graduate school. However, as to why I want to get into it, I enjoyed the business while I was around it. I have also seen that it could be quite cutthroat and I do how these companies view me. I do however have had many hurdles put ahead of me and while my path might be more difficult, I do lot believe anything is impossible.
I know the big companies like the State Farm’s won’t appoint me but I highly doubt that the 1033 waiver exists if no companies would ever appoint me. I do realize this will not be easy but what really is? I am just trying to seek out all advice good or bad.

Thank you for all the responses. I actually have an interview this coming Wednesday with a local independent agency and hoping for the best! I have been completely upfront with everyone and the saddest part is that every interview I went to yielded a job on the spot until I found out large carriers would not appoint me. Therefore, I’ve been looking for the smaller independent agencies now.

I’ve been extremely honest through all interviews and even then I was offered jobs. I’m hoping I’ll have some luck the next few weeks. I’ll looking into the aggregators and heading in the right direction.

Again thank you all and any and all advice welcomed.

Ahh, I understand now.

A few things that will help are 1- an expungement. 2- evidence of bettering yourself/helping the community/helping others.

I’m in the process of trying figuring how to expunge now. As for community work, I was doing nonprofit stuff about three years before I had to stop due to work. I truly have a solid resume with employment, nonprofit work and education.

I realize that I won’t be hired by State Farm or Allstate but I am certain that independent agencies have a different process. I know someone will eventually give me a job.

Since you are having these issues I may as well ask on your thread (forgive me for high jacking it). But, when carriers do Background and Credit checks what exactly will disqualify you from being appointed. Like would a Bankruptcy or even having charge-offs eliminate you, would DUI charge even if the case got dismissed hurt you, I have been told even if you got charged with an offense and got found "not guilty", the charge itself still goes on your background.

Back