New Agent, Simple Call Script

Can you expand a little on that Lakshmi?

I just say, when I call, after the intro and and when I have the attention I want..."what I do is offer small business owners affordable asset and income protection, in the form of health, life, DI, CI, accident...do you have any protection like that in place?" I do not mislead, I get right to the point, and fast, their time is valuable as is mine. This is the short of it, as I know what type of business it is and so on before I call, so I then personalize it more...i.e. "what I do is offer farmers affordable..."

Whether they say yes or no, then start asking questions...about their health insurance, which many have these days (of course high deductibles, but find out exactly) Life insurance (what do they have, have they had it reviewed lately? how much? do they have enough?), and figure out where you can fill the gaps. Set an appointment and go armed with packages/bundles/options to fill those gaps. Ask a lot of questions...including the obvious health questions. Of course if they aren't interested and you know it, move on...no sense in wasting time.

You are helping to protect their income and assets, essentially. I have found by trial and error in the past two years while trying to completely exit health insurance as my "in the door" product, with my market, small biz owners, the language matters too...less formal, less "uptight", perhaps less affluent. Using the terms "Financial Advisors' and the like, which connotates to a lot of small biz owners that you might be a stock broker, investment broker, looking for big money to handle, etc, turns them off. Income and asset terminology is more relatable. White collar might be more apt to respond better to Financial protection, and terms of that nature, idk, I do write white collar but it's by default/referrals/friends/etc.

Depends on the demo market though, this works for me. I do all kinds of things to get me where I want to be, which is in front of them, to sell them anything they need after I/we figure out where their gaps are....hence, all the questions/info gathering.

As we all know, there will be many people not interested, but by default, if you make enough calls, you will get appointments. You will get people who are in the market right now, today, the majority of the time.

As for the original poster, ThinkandGrowRich, you are on the right track for sure. From a long time doing this, I'm positive the numbers do not lie, one appointment in 50 calls isn't bad. You will have times where you will make 200 calls, and not get an appointment...that should not happen often, but it will. Keep going, it'll average itself out.

Think 100 calls, 2-4 appointments, good solid appointments that you will sell, if your even just average, not the best on the phone, etc. I suck on the phone, at least I think so, but these are my averages. And out of those appointments you go on, bundle plans (ex: a 20 yr term, with a CI to cover health insurance deduct, living expenses, experimental txs in the event of a CI, and possibly a nice AcciFlex plan to boot), and boost the commish by a lot, so those 2-4 appointments can easily translate into 4-6 deals and more. Personalize it based on info gathering.

If you want more appointments make more calls.

If your being diligent, and asking all the questions, you will make those appointments very solid, ready to buy before you get there.

I could get more appointments in 100 calls, but simply refuse to waste my time on non healthy people, liars not buyers, yada yada. My time is valuable.

----------

BTW Think and Grow Rich is the best book out there IMO. I've read it a few times, and re-read parts of it to this day. I've also had agents read it when they were starting out. Today, there are more and more good audio books out there. Invest and listen to them.

I like how you think TAGR, you're tracking your calls, and getting a feel for whats up. Here was my day, Monday, I made only about 60 calls, set an appointment on the 8th call, then another on the 53rd call. Of those appointments I will get at least 4 deals. it took me about two hours with breaks and messing around playing video poker online while I waited for people to answer. lol.

You are off to a good start. Like someone else said to you in this thread, just ramp up the calls if you want more appointments.

One thing you might want to try is to call on Mondays, and then Tuesdays if you don't get enough appointments on Monday, and set your appointments working back from the end of the week (I don't usually work Fridays and tend to set all appointments on Wed and Thurs). Just a suggestion if you like to set up your week in a structured format to have the weekends off. I know sometimes you have to meet with a prospect on a weekend, but if your like me, I like my free time and have more of it then I spend working.

Good Luck to you!!!

No offense to DHK, but I think going about the "general services" review with a priority approach for a beginner is too much. I think he's better off using his script or a variant to get in front of them about life insurance. I have sold a 10k AP term couple case off cold calling for life insurance, calling for a priority review of their insurance services? shoot me in the face, and watch paint dry.
Would it be great for him to give more value calling yes, I agree with you. But the priority review encompasses a more fuller planning mode, he should just shoot for life insurance if that's what he offers.

Here is my suggestive script I have used and gotten results from.

Hi is New Agent there? Hi New Agent, this Empty, and New Agent, you're not going to recognize my name because I am calling you as a cold call. Would you mind if I quickly tell you the reason why I called?

If they tell you to pound sand, ask them if you can follow up with them in 6 months (many life events can happen, raise, new job, new baby, new wife, new house, death of a family member) to see how they are doing. If they agree, put them in the pipeline and call them back to see if anything has changed. If you are dealing with Small Business Owners, try bumping it to 3 months, that way by month 6,9, and 12 you will be contacting a higher ratio of warmer leads.

If they say go ahead:

New Agent I work with small business owners (or New Agent I meet with Couples/Seniors/Homeowners) in the area that are fustrated with how much they are paying for their life insurance or are unsure if what they have is enough. Are either of those concerns of yours?

The point is to get them talking, see if they have insurance to begin with, see if they have it through work, when's the last time they shopped their rates, and finally how did they come about figuring out how much they needed, which can open up a discussion into what they need. Maybe their term is coming due and they need more insurance, maybe they just need a small burial policy, maybe the couple want a policy to replace the lost SS income.

No offense to DHK, but I think going about the "general services" review with a priority approach for a beginner is too much. I think he's better off using his script or a variant to get in front of them about life insurance.
Wow, last I recall when you weren't running to Sam crying like a little girl, you were cold door-knocking in the Cleveland 'hood for FE. A metamorphosis?

Just set the appointment!

Get right to the point.

"Hi John, this is Dave Rearden and I'm calling because I help small business owners protect themselves and their employees with life insurance. I'd like 5 minutes to show you more about what I do - how's Tuesday at 2 sound?"

Get right to the point of your call and always ask for the appointment.

Use the phone to get in the door, and use the appointment to fact-find for sales opportunities.

I'm interested in education, and I want to educate clients about their own needs and the options they have available to them for addressing those needs.

That, my dear man, is your opening line, right after your name and city. Cardone, Hopkins, Anthony, and Schiffman could not have given you better.

You spoke from the heart, and it became about them, not you. The "experts" don't know what is in your heart, and how to get it out of you. You do.

This is First/Last Name, from City. The reason I am calling you today is because I am interested in educating people about the changes in insurance, and how these changes may suit your needs. Just as you were not the same ten or twenty years ago, insurance is not the same either.

I just want to come by and have a conversation. I also want to make you three promises:

1. I will not stay longer than you want me to
  2. If I don't know the answer, I will get it, and call you back
  3. You will not have to sign anything or pay to meet with me

Fair enough?

You need to practice this until it sounds comfortable to you, and you speak with authority. I would also suggest joining the local Toastmasters club in your area. There, you can learn how to answer questions off the cuff, and how to get rid of filler words.

Just set the appointment!

Get right to the point.

"Hi John, this is Dave Rearden and I'm calling because I help small business owners protect themselves and their employees with life insurance. I'd like 5 minutes to show you more about what I do - how's Tuesday at 2 sound?"

Get right to the point of your call and always ask for the appointment.

Use the phone to get in the door, and use the appointment to fact-find for sales opportunities.

I think this is the first cold call related post Paul has liked in 10 years....

I've called at least 200 people and have gotten only one appointment. In fact, today I really pushed through my normal call reluctance and made 70 calls, and at call 50 is when I got my appointment.

You were expecting better results? 1 appointment on 200 contacts is great. Get a 3 line auto dialer and make 200 dials/hour. At a 25% contact rate you will be contacting 50 people an hour. Prospect for 4 hours a day and you will be able to set one appointment a day. That's 20 appointments a month and after you make sales you can build your book and ask for referrals to supplement your cold calling.

I think people really under estimate the number of calls it takes to produce appointments and sales.

You were expecting better results? 1 appointment on 200 contacts is great. Get a 3 line auto dialer and make 200 dials/hour. At a 25% contact rate you will be contacting 50 people an hour. Prospect for 4 hours a day and you will be able to set one appointment a day. That's 20 appointments a month and after you make sales you can build your book and ask for referrals to supplement your cold calling. I think people really under estimate the number of calls it takes to produce appointments and sales.

If you are targeting businesses and simply asking for an appointment, you should be averaging an appointment an hour if dialing by hand.

...i.e. "what I do is offer farmers affordable..."

How often do farmers answer their phones? Do you just call in non-growing/harvest season? Good for you on the success in the market. When I read that, the first thing I thought was they answer their phones?

----------

You were expecting better results? 1 appointment on 200 contacts is great. Get a 3 line auto dialer and make 200 dials/hour. At a 25% contact rate you will be contacting 50 people an hour. Prospect for 4 hours a day and you will be able to set one appointment a day. That's 20 appointments a month and after you make sales you can build your book and ask for referrals to supplement your cold calling.

I think people really under estimate the number of calls it takes to produce appointments and sales.

Are you selling a high priced high commissioned product? I could see this working with annuities at those numbers. Not fun by any means but working.

How often do farmers answer their phones? Do you just call in non-growing/harvest season? Good for you on the success in the market. When I read that, the first thing I thought was they answer their phones?

----------

Are you selling a high priced high commissioned product? I could see this working with annuities at those numbers. Not fun by any means but working.

The OPs original message was about calling consumers. I'd say if you are calling ,homeowners for example, and offering life insurance that one appointment in 200 contacts is okay. Same thing if you were calling people trying to open brokerage accounts. Same results if you're a real estate agent looking for listings. I think it is more rare that you happen to call someone and they want to set an appointment because they've been thinking about life insurance.

Businesses may be willing to set an appointment if they believe you have something that may help their business but it usually takes a few calls before you are even able to get past the gatekeeper, voicemail, and speak to someone that can make a decision.

I'm really skeptical when people say they can set an appointment every 25 telephone contacts off of a cold list.

Back