Jmos

Expert
I am actually almost there to getting licensed and I have questions. After a brief background to these questions, I'll put them in list order.

I've been in sales for 10 years, but ready to start something new. An acquaintance, not long ago, invited me to start working for Healthcare Solutions Team. I backed out when I realized things were a little shady, like wanting me to solicit for them without a license. However, what I learned was that this is lucrative enough for me to laterally transition my income level and then be able to work from home making calls and selling life and health over the phone. But, I'm now learning some things that seem to be painting a more difficult picture for me to accept. I was told by HST that most people make between 70k and 120k their first year. So here are some questions:

1) Really, how difficult is this going to be to sign up on a team and make calls from home and sell? Isnt it just a numbers game?
2) what does assigning your commissions mean and why is that important to avoid?
3) is it realistic to work this job on my days off until it gets better then quit my regular job and go full time with insurance?
4) how much of the information I'm studying do I really need to retain for my career? Because it's a lot. Lol.
5) Are there any unique ways of making a killing as an independent agent, that you know of?
6) how do I find a mentor that doesnt just want to give me pie in the sky b.s. just so I'll work under them?
7) I've read in other reviews online that theres a lot of agents that sell their soul, or dont care about the client and just run amok to make money... how is this even true when reading a review of a company, if the laws are so strict (according to what I'm studying), regarding compliance standards.

Thank you for the help I could use it.

1) Any business which wants you to use your phone and capital for that phone I would think twice about. At least until you have some income to cover the expense
2) Assign commissions means give part or all away to someone above you
3) Tough to learn the profession by giving it the part time status
4) Depends on what line of insurance you want to sell
5) Find a job outside of insurance
6) Knock on some doors of brokers and find someone who wants to train you
7) It is easy when you work under someone else's E&O and are only in it for the benjamins. Once you decide to make a career out of taking care of people it is more about the protection you provide than the money you get to keep

1) Really, how difficult is this going to be to sign up on a team and make calls from home and sell? Isnt it just a numbers game?

A great quote: You are about to get a pay raise. It become effective the day you do.

2) what does assigning your commissions mean and why is that important to avoid?
Assigning commissions means that your upline gets your commissions and then they pay you. I wouldn't do this as contracts, people, and relationships often have changes over time.

3) is it realistic to work this job on my days off until it gets better then quit my regular job and go full time with insurance?

Depends on what and how you are selling. If you're selling mortgage protection at night selling leads... that can certainly work. However, if you're doing your own prospecting, you should allow a LOT of time. Prospecting is a Quantity time and Quality skill activity.

4) how much of the information I'm studying do I really need to retain for my career? Because it's a lot. Lol.

If you're complaining now... you might want to quit while you're ahead. I've got my insurance license, had a series 7, series 66, my ChFC advanced financial planning certification, and I'm involved in a group that does high level cases. Ongoing study is a benefit of this career because it's always changing.

5) Are there any unique ways of making a killing as an independent agent, that you know of?

Who do you want to be a hero to and why? (That's an advanced question that will help you get focused.)

6) how do I find a mentor that doesnt just want to give me pie in the sky b.s. just so I'll work under them?

The term "mentor" is thrown around a LOT... and I'm not sold on it. I am a student of the industry and I study many people. The question is: what is your WHY for getting into this business and who can help you maximize your potential to fulfill that why as you serve others?

7) I've read in other reviews online that theres a lot of agents that sell their soul, or dont care about the client and just run amok to make money... how is this even true when reading a review of a company, if the laws are so strict (according to what I'm studying), regarding compliance standards.

Think about every law that's on the books. The reasons those laws exist is because someone violated an ethical standard of some kind - so it became law.

When you're with a client in their home, it's just you and the client. You can still rip people off. (I'd rather you didn't.:) )

The reason for licensing isn't for competence. It's to hold you accountable and liable for your actions and inactions.

I hope this helped.

Yes...

But after the initial 20 no's, a smattering of being called things you wouldn't want your kids to hear, and few situations when your almost done and ask for financial info and then you hear "click" or "I need to talk to my... about this", your perspective will be much different.

And how long can you sit in the same room with yourself when you are 30 and 0?

Someone once told me of the insurance sales industry, "If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it." I have seen many come and many go. You have to be bullheaded enough to make it work. :)

...or be bald and dumb enough not to stop if it doesn't. :yes:

Yes...

But after the initial 20 no's, a smattering of being called things you wouldn't want your kids to hear, and few situations when your almost done and ask for financial info and then you hear "click" or "I need to talk to my... about this", your perspective will be much different.

And how long can you sit in the same room with yourself when you are 30 and 0?

Someone once told me of the insurance sales industry, "If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it." I have seen many come and many go. You have to be bullheaded enough to make it work. :)

...or be bald and dumb enough not to stop if it doesn't. :yes:

This is good perspective. I'm not unfamiliar with hearing no, or being called names after selling timeshare for a decade. After a while you get pretty good at flushing the past, and resetting your mind really quick.

Back