New Golden Rule Plans...

Wow, it's amazing the tips you can pick up between the lines on the posts by veterans on this board! Thank you! Really! I'm serious! It's Friday! :noteworthy:

Anyway, Here's a little contribution to this thread from a newbie. (Hey, I'm a newbie, alright?) When I read this, it did not bode well for GR around here, since WakeMed is 1 of 2 major hospitals right in Raleigh, NC. They also take NO PFFS plans whatsoever. Medsupps rule here baby! At least, as a newbie, I wouldn't want to take a chance, if someone can get a medsupp, right? I look forward to any comments. Thanks!

Anyway, before you get to the article, I also have a bit of hearsay. Seems Ali showed up at the emergency room one night with a UHC card. They were threatening not to admit him, so he paid in full with $10 bills.

UNITED HEALTHCARE no longer participating as of March 1, 2007

United Healthcare Confirms Decision to Terminate Contract with WakeMed

March 1, 2007 – Raleigh, NC – WakeMed Health & Hospitals regrets to announce that UnitedHealthcare (UHC) has elected to terminate its managed care contract effective March 1, 2007. This termination comes several months after UnitedHealthcare issued an unexpected notice of termination to WakeMed mid-way through a multi-year contract.

“First and foremost, we recognize this termination is of great concern to UHC members and patients, and we want our patients to know that we are here to help them work through this difficult transition,” explains Dr. Bill Atkinson, president & CEO, WakeMed Health & Hospitals. “We are very disappointed that after weeks of negotiation, UnitedHealthcare continues to demand significant cuts in our contracted reimbursement rates. Accepting these cuts would impact our ability to provide the high level and one of a kind services we offer, not to mention our ability to uphold our mission of caring for this community, a mission we have committed to and upheld in this community for decades.”

We want to ensure that UnitedHealthcare members continue to have access to the services offered by WakeMed, WakeMed Home Health, and WakeMed Faculty Physicians practices. Therefore, to help UHC members and physicians work through this transition, WakeMed has put into place several initiatives designed to make it easier for UnitedHealthcare patients to use the high quality services offered at WakeMed.

In addition, UHC members should know that UnitedHealthcare will cover emergency services at in-network levels at any WakeMed facility. UHC has also agreed to cover certain maternity services and the care of certain chronic conditions for which care is already underway. This is very important for our patients who will benefit from uninterupted continuity of care.

These initiatives include:
WakeMed CareLine – 350-CARE (2273)
WakeMed staff will assist patients in understanding their options for using WakeMed and the coverage they can expect. They will work with each patient on a case-by-case basis, and can help gain necessary pre-authorizations. CareLine staff members are available Monday through Saturday, 8 am to 8 pm.

Patients with UnitedHealthcare PPO and Point of Service Plans that provide for out of network benefits. WakeMed will work with these patients individually to help keep co-pays, coinsurance, and deductibles at in-network rates whenever possible. In fact, we will waive the difference between the in and out-of-network costs for the patients so that the patient does not incur any additional costs by choosing to use WakeMed.
“This is a difficult and complicated situation,” continues Atkinson. “Unfortunately, there may be instances where we will not be able to help. However, we are committed to doing our very best to work with our patients.”

WakeMed offers many unique services and offerings not available anywhere else in Wake County. WakeMed is the only system in Wake County with a Level I Trauma Center, dedicated Children’s Emergency Department, a full service emergency department in North Raleigh, Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Intensive Care, Neuro Intensive Care, inpatient Rehabilitation Hospital and a full-service hospital with maternity services in Cary. WakeMed’s charges to the consumer for these high-tech unique services and all others are very much in line with other tertiary hospitals providing similar levels of care throughout the region and the state. Contracted rates with health plans, however, vary from payor to payor based on a variety of factors including volume and operational performance.

For more information on how to obtain covered services at WakeMed facilities, please call the CareLine at 350-CARE (2273).

Last edited by a moderator:
“First and foremost, we recognize this termination is of great concern to UHC members and patients, and we want our patients to know that we are here to help them work through this difficult transition,” explains Dr. Bill Atkinson, president & CEO, WakeMed Health & Hospitals. “We are very disappointed that after weeks of negotiation, UnitedHealthcare continues to demand significant cuts in our contracted reimbursement rates. Accepting these cuts would impact our ability to provide the high level and one of a kind services we offer, not to mention our ability to uphold our mission of caring for this community, a mission we have committed to and upheld in this community for decades.”

I smell AMA crap all over this! The overpricing of medical treatment by the medical society has to be dealt with, so I'm please to hear that UHC told them to shove it. Has anyone ever read the AMA Mission Statement?

Okay, its late on friday night and I feel like ranting, I'm over it!:D

Anthem Blue Cross did the same thing in Ohio (Dayton area) a few years ago. Thousands were left scrambling to find a new Network Dr. All is well now as they finally negotiated a deal.

I had a UHC group plan for more than 20 years and never had a problem. THey're a great company.

More than one carrier has become embroiled in a tug of war over reimbursements. BX in GA had the same issue, twice, with their HMO side.

HMO providers wanted more, BX willing to give less. The contract expired. Policyholders went scrambling for new providers. After two months or so (in both cases) they kissed & made up.

Seems memories are quite short. Lot's of folks still LOVE Blue.

Physicians in MD are constantly suing Blue Cross over delayed claims and not being reimbursed at all. I just don't understand the love-fest with them. I can say "Blue Cross" to a prospect and they swoon like a little girl in love - doesn't matter that the plans are very limited - especially on outpatient benefits.

I don't get UHC at all. Golden Rule ditched the largest network in MD - Mamsi - claimed they couldn't reach a new deal. That would be odd since Mamsi is owned by UHC: http://www.mamsiunitedhealthcare.com/w/index.jsp

Last edited:
Physicians in MD are constantly suing Blue Cross over delayed claims and not being reimbursed at all. I just don't understand the love-fest with them. I can say "Blue Cross" to a prospect and they swoon like a little girl in love - doesn't matter that the plans are very limited - especially on outpatient benefits.

I don't get UHC at all. Golden Rule ditched the largest network in MD - Mamsi - claimed they couldn't reach a new deal. That would be odd since Mamsi is owned by UHC: http://www.mamsiunitedhealthcare.com/w/index.jsp

HaHa, I wondered the same thing when I spoke w/ GR about their "savings based (MY Ass) and "preferred" network.

Lol. I called Golden Rule too when they dropped Mamsi. They told me they didn't strike a deal. I said "you didn't strike a deal with yourselves?"

Of couse, all clients get a "no longer taking the Mamsi network" which results in a lot of lapses. UHC does have a large nationwide network but not as dense as Mamsi in MD.

And by the way, once GR comes out with the new drup capped plans all excisting clients can expect to get rate-increased into oblivion so GR can erase everyone off the "old" plans.

Not just to bash GR on that....Assurant pulled the same move in MD in late '04 when they ditched the 192 Series and went to the Preferred 2000. All of my 192 series clients got the "Ohh....so you want to keep that plan? Ok, HERE'S your new rate!" letter. I had to re-underwrite everyone and lost a few.

OT-I don't understand the difference between these two networks. In AZ there is only 1 network listed on their website. UHC's choice +

I don't work the Arizona area yet so I cannot comment on what GR does out there. SME might know.

Back