New to Insurance - I Need A Sense Of Direction

Re: New to Insurances Need Sense of Direction

Does anyone know where i can get my E&O . Im new so i know for sure im going to pay alot but i guess you need to spend money to make money.

There are a number of sources, at least for coverage for life and health.

I know of two associations (one for life, one for health) that offer e&o for $440.

Rick

What made you get your insurance license in the first place? And why would you get an office space when you don't even have E&O or carriers to represent.

It doesn't sound like you have thought things through....like you are doing things backwards.

Not trying to give you a hard time, just curious

The insurances are just an addition of what i do in my office. I am already making enough money to maintain the office and the costs , its just something else i want to add to the office to bring in more income.

There are a number of sources, at least for coverage for life and health.

I know of two associations (one for life, one for health) that offer e&o for $440.

Rick

I second that! It is going to save me about $300 this year over my renewal in July. That and the compulife discount adds up to a bit of extra beer money or wine with a real cork!:1biggrin:

Last edited:

The insurances are just an addition of what i do in my office. I am already making enough money to maintain the office and the costs , its just something else i want to add to the office to bring in more income.

Well I am confused.

On your first post you say "I have bills to pay and im getting kinda frustrated that i just want to go out and get a job with any company and just get salary pay." and now you're saying "I am already making enough money to maintain the office and the costs...,".

???

Not trying to beat you down. Quite the opposite. To me you sound like a typical intelligent entrepreneur who has looked at a P&C agency and said to yourself, hey! I can do that! Let me go ahead get my license, open an office and start writing business!

It amazes me the number of people I have come across and/or heard about that are "looking" to get into the p&c business. And that number has skyrocketed with the downturn of the economy.

As an illustration, this past Monday I received a call from an accountant that I know and he told me he has about 3,000 clients that he believes he can cross sell the p&c business to and he wanted information on opening his own agency.

The days of opening an agency, putting your name on the phone book and waiting for calls are long over. There are so many things that you need to learn and experience to successfully operate an insurance agency, that it is not even funny.

So Maico89, the best advice I can offer you is, if you are really serious about getting into the p&c business, go out, find a good - preferably - a mid-size to large agency, tell them you're hungry want to learn the business.

Work at it for three to five years, try to learn every single thing you possibly can, make connections with other people in the industry, especially with carriers, THEN think of opening your own agency.

As always though your mileage may vary. G/L.

Last edited:

I am also a new agent and would recommend that if you want to stay independent , work under another experienced independent agent that can show you the ropes.

so, how do you find an agency to work for? What's the best and quickest way? Any guidelines out there? Pitfalls to watch for? Thanks,

I started in the mortgage business as an independent. Definitely the rough way to learn. Makes ya hard tho.

I'm re-entering the insurance game. This time with a twist: going captive for a bit, THEN re-opening on my own.

If yer in Tucson you may try Sterling Plans. They just sent me a letter asking me to interview. I know nothing about em, so research em before you commit.

HTH

M

Just as a fellow agent in the business I would like to offer any help in advise, understanding the basics, etc for any new-new agent. I welcome to hear from anyone. Thanks and have a great day!

Amanda

Back