New to the Industry

allinoneagent3

Recently I have passed my insurance exam because my parents requested it for some help at their agency. At first I thought it was going to be simple tasks and nothing more. Now I'm in the office regularly because they want me to learn more about the industry so that I may one day take over their book.

Here's the problem, I have no idea what I'm doing and their guidance is absolutely horrible. I'm somewhat losing I interest in pursuing insurance as a career but before I give it up, are there any recommendations or books, articles, etc that I could check out? writing quotes ia one thing but agency management is another, especially if the agency was a mess to begin with. I would love some input and thank you advance for any answers.

I think working in another agency such as a captive company will give you the proper training and experience for this industry.

Maybe, work outside the insurance industry to find out if this is the best choice for you.

Working as a captive agent would be difficult for me because I'm also a student.

My career is still tied into the the military as well although I'm no longer active. I would like to learn more about industry without having to be tied to one company. Is that even possible?

EugeneM,

My focus would be on all of the above, although I have no interest in sales, I see it to be valuable experience. The reason I'm feeling like getting out of the business is because the agency I'm in right now.

It is a new agency (only 3 years old) and things have not been established to the point where I can come in and nlknow exactly what I should be doing. I have no idea what should be going on at the agency other than sales but I'm not exactly sure what to do about that either.

I was hoping for a Insurance agency for dummies sort of thing.

you don't want to be a captive agent because if something else comes along you will be stuck to check out other options and captive agents are normally working a lot of hours for low commission. by some leads on your own and start running appointments. No better way to learn than just doing it.

EugeneM,

My focus would be on all of the above, although I have no interest in sales, I see it to be valuable experience. The reason I'm feeling like getting out of the business is because the agency I'm in right now.

It is a new agency (only 3 years old) and things have not been established to the point where I can come in and nlknow exactly what I should be doing. I have no idea what should be going on at the agency other than sales but I'm not exactly sure what to do about that either.

I was hoping for a Insurance agency for dummies sort of thing.

Run... don't walk out... run out.... The is by far the most competitive, hardest sales industry there is... If you're not in it 110% you WILL FAIL... period.

Just to give some incite on the whole "sales" part...many times people associate all "sales" positions as annoying door knockers etc. Once you've networked yourself with COI's (center's of influence..aka people who need your services) like realtors & mortgage lenders to send you their new home buyers for insurance...it's no longer "selling" in the traditional sense of the word.

It's somebody calling you saying "hey you came highly recommended, can you handle my insurance?" It's actually a wonderfully enjoyable thing.

Working internet leads, or called calling...or most any other tactic will then become monotonous repetitive suspecting/prospecting/calling/etc & pretty much SUCKS.

That being said...agency ownership will make you more money then pretty much anybody around you. At the age of 29 I out-earn every single 1 of my friends including doctors, lawyers, CPA'S, engineers etc. If I could redo my life I would have pursued owning my own agency earlier...like right out off college...at your age.

Research, understand & then worship RENEWAL INCOME in this business. Also understand going captive is the WORST decision you could make. INDEPENDENT is where it's at.

Back