New to the industry

Whitney S

Good afternoon everyone. I’m new to the insurance business and I just got my license 6 months ago. I’m in Louisiana trying to find the best route to take. I just recently signed with Aflac and Liberty National Life Insurance. I’m also taking the AHIP training on the 25

I was also contacted by Ideal Concept Inc, which is a work from home job selling Health benefits. I don’t know if these is a good company to work for. Of course the will provide the lead and the software, but they will keep my book. Any suggestions from the seasoned Insurance Gurus!!!

I worked for Liberty National for 14 years and was captured. Not sure if it is still that way. AFLAC may be the same way. Why the need for 3 companies who target different markets? AFLAC is big in the workplace, LN sells life although it is not competitive and the other company sells health insurance I think. You will make more money if you concentrate on one market while getting started.

Why are you taking AHIP? AFLAC nor LN has MA or PDP.

If I was a brand new agent today, I would focus on Final Expense and Medicare. If not Final Expense and Medicare than I would do P&C.

Aflac have you pounding the pavement every day trying to talk to business owners. Hard way to make a living. My business partner has been in the business for 5 years before he took on Aflac and he walked out on Aflac 3 months.

I was taking the AHIP because I wanted to offer MA or PDP if a customer inquired. I was unsure how much access I needed so I applied to take the AHIP.

Mike, thanks for he advice. I was indecisive about what to market first.

This is a tough industry to make it, so find a good and successful manager that can show you the ropes. Especially one that is local to you. Being so new to the industry, stay away from companies that are too far from you. You'll need all the local support you can get.

Having someone you can trust is very important to your success. Find a manager that really cares about your success. As they are interviewing you, you should be interviewing them as well. Find one that you connect with. Good luck.

Last edited:
I would recommend trying to find a way to keep your book of business. Otherwise, you're always going to be chained to these people/organization. Also, have a lawyer look over the contract to make sure it specifically states that if you leave, you can also take your book of business with you. I've seen agents get massively screwed over by leaving a company, and them (the company) keeping their book. What if they close up shop, or move to another place and change their name? You're screwed. No more business.

Independent is definitely the way to go in insurance, but (full disclosure -- and not to be demoralizing), this is an extremely tough business to succeed in, if you want to keep your own book, make great money, have low stress, and great yearly residuals. You need a massive support structure -- like a mentor with at least 10 years experience to guide you step-by-step, and tons of connections.

This business is very confusing, and is loaded with tricks and turns around every corner. It's not as easy as "I got my license! I'm gonna be a millionaire in 5 years!" I'm semi-familiar with that company you mentioned (Ideal), and I believe they have a high monthly quota, some very suspect plans, and very low yearly residuals -- which sucks. If that is, indeed, the case, I'd rather try to generate my own leads.

Last edited:
I'd stop trying to be all things to all people.

Pick one lane. Personally, I say don't take AHIP until you understand Medicare. Otherwise, you're not really doing a service to the customer. However others may disagree with me.

FE is a good route, especially in your more rural and mid to lower income areas. FE also opens up Medicare insurance in the future. I'm not saying focus on FE, I'm just throwing information out there.

You have a lot to learn as a new agent. Narrowing your focus helps make your marketing efforts more efficient. It makes your learning curve less daunting.

Latest posts

Back