New York Commercial Insurance

Brandon Blood

It can be quite challenging to obtain Commercial Insurance in the state of New York. One major issue I've encountered is that many Brokers and insurance agents are unwilling to handle the more complex aspects of the process. This especially applies to cannabis startup shops, although there are numerous other examples. If anyone is currently facing these difficulties, feel free to reach out to us at First Heritage Insurance Agency. Alternatively, you can contact me directly. As I mentioned before, securing insurance in New York can be a hassle, but we are here to help. We would also appreciate hearing any stories you may have about encountering problems with obtaining insurance or dealing with uncooperative agents.
Brandon Blood Sales Manager.
631-659-2889 ext 495 [email protected]

It can be quite challenging to obtain Commercial Insurance in the state of New York. One major issue I've encountered is that many Brokers and insurance agents are unwilling to handle the more complex aspects of the process. This especially applies to cannabis startup shops, although there are numerous other examples. If anyone is currently facing these difficulties, feel free to reach out to us at First Heritage Insurance Agency. Alternatively, you can contact me directly. As I mentioned before, securing insurance in New York can be a hassle, but we are here to help. We would also appreciate hearing any stories you may have about encountering problems with obtaining insurance or dealing with uncooperative agents.
Brandon Blood Sales Manager.
631-659-2889 ext 495 [email protected]

Everyone is having problems with all commercial accounts everywhere. I can appreciate your professionalism but if your being transparent you should be way more angry in this post. These underwriters have lost control and are no longer working. They are just declining accounts at this point because they have no incentive to do any work. I THINK AGENTS SHOULD FIGHT BACK. Lets stop just accepting declinations and RAIL against. And I mean hard. No more giving in. Call your rep 10 times a day until they have to write business. They can't do anything about it if we ALL start doing it.

Lets stop just accepting declinations and RAIL against. And I mean hard. No more giving in.

200w.gif

Bud, if they don't want to write business, then they won't. Calling them 10 times a day will just piss them off and get you a restraining order, and or a lost appointment.

Ok yes you are right don't literally do that. (I think this is why I come here because I cant say these things to carriers). But, we should have that spirit. We need other options, new players, new sources of capital. The old players are proving useless. I understand charging more. Even ALOT more. What I don't understand is declining accounts for no reason. They should just put up a closed sign, sell their assets and break up the company based on the amount of motivation these people have. I want more options. And I need broader options. I need a carrier that isn't going to gas light me everytime I send in an account. Every account gets declined for, crime score, amount of exposure per building, doesn't have rates filed high enough, stupid AI satellite analysis, 3rd party data that they won't disclose!, not all assets are insured on the policy, 1 claim that is just equal to 12 months premium, raising building coverages to 400/Sq foot in the rust belt, deciding to apply per building guidelines to the full property arbitrarily. Then on top of all this not being clear about certain guidelines, keeping rules vague. Threatening to non renew an account unless I get them arbitrary information within 96 hours. I think this is all short term mindset. I understand charging more. I don't understanding just giving up and hiding in a shell of fear. I am making more money than I ever have been but it's driving me insane. I just things to be done right.

With all of the non-renewals here in NY, underwriters are inundated with new business. They are not returning calls or emails unless you give them a lot of orders. Don't even bother trying to shop something around. The line on the left is for shoppers (renewal increases and new ventures). The line on the right if for non-renewals with clean loss runs, non coastal. Guess which ones are getting attention. Best to use online raters and avoid underwriter referrals wherever possible. As a side note, Brandon, this site is really not a site that your customer/prospect is looking at. It's mostly insurance professionals....your competition. Best to focus your marketing efforts on websites dedicated to consumers looking for insurance advice. In this case, try websites dedicated to cannabis businesses looking for advice. Good luck out there. Tough times.

Bud, if they don't want to write business, then they won't. Calling them 10 times a day will just piss them off and get you a restraining order, and or a lost appointment.

I've had some not-nice things to say to underwriters and carrier reps lately; it's all about keeping it professional with an undertone. Such as my recent email to an underwriter: "Your assessment makes me question whether you are acting as an underwriter or merely checking boxes"

or

"Are these new underwriting requirements? I've written plenty of _______ in the past with the prior underwriter and never ran into this. "

The first one made the underwriter go crying to his manager, which I suppose could make me lose that appointment if his feelings were sufficiently hurt.

Which takes me back to

I've had some not-nice things to say to underwriters and carrier reps lately; it's all about keeping it professional with an undertone. Such as my recent email to an underwriter: "Your assessment makes me question whether you are acting as an underwriter or merely checking boxes"

or

"Are these new underwriting requirements? I've written plenty of _______ in the past with the prior underwriter and never ran into this. "

The first one made the underwriter go crying to his manager, which I suppose could make me lose that appointment if his feelings were sufficiently hurt.

Which takes me back to

You and me buddy - we should totally launch a safe space insurance product.

I am not claiming to acquire any magical substance or exclusive contract that is unavailable to others. Like any other broker, I collaborate with all the prominent industry players. However, the distinction lies in my primary concern, which revolves around ensuring the well-being of individuals by providing them with appropriate insurance coverage. For instance, establishing insurance for a cannabis shop is indeed a labor-intensive undertaking. Despite the potential personal investment in terms of time and effort, my ultimate goal is to assist my clients. This paramount objective underscores the significance of my services. Consequently, my intention is to emphasize my unique qualities rather than assert superiority over others or rely on miraculous remedies. I am simply willing to do the work when others don't.
Now, regarding Underwriters, it is evident that we are receiving an unfair treatment. However, fortunately for me, I often assume the role of my own underwriter when composing these policies. If I execute my tasks proficiently, the policies should effortlessly pass through the hands of an underwriter. If any of you are encountering difficulties with your Underwriters, it is crucial to either seek assistance or explore alternative contracts. Taking a assertive stance is indisputably a significant measure, and I am not opposed to the idea of organizing protests or strikes against these Underwriters who persistently decline writing business. It is undeniable that each one of us has been adversely affected by the challenges faced in the past year. I am not inclined to offer insincere sentiments about this situation, but I will endeavor to maintain a positive outlook.

Back