Newbie Looking for Insurance Returing from Overseas Deployment

navyguy89

Hello all I've got a newbie question. I'm returning from overseas service and just bought myself a new Mustang and am picking it up in mid-September. My question is this:

I hold a Alaska drivers license and residency, I am picking the car up in Virginia and staying there for school until Mid-November, and I will be driving the car cross-country to my next duty station in Everett, WA. My question is In what state do I get the auto coverage for? Alaska, Virginia, or Washington? I'm thinking once I get to Washington I can just change over after I settle in?

If you're going to be living in VA for more than 30 days you have to get a VA drivers license or technically you're driving without a license. I believe that being a full-time student is an exception to that depending on the length of time, but I could be wrong. This might sound like a PITA, but you should probably be insuring the car in Virginia until you move to Washington.

The insurance carrier is going to ask where the vehicle is going to be garaged and when you say Virginia that will be a flag for the Virginia insurance. The "right" way to do it will be to go down to the DMV, get your VA drivers license, get the car registered there, and get Virginia insurance on it before you head down. At the DMV they're going to require proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill (I'd check the DMV site or call them for more details about that).

Virginia is a great state! Are you going to be down near Quantico?

If you're going to be living in VA for more than 30 days you have to get a VA drivers license or technically you're driving without a license. I believe that being a full-time student is an exception to that depending on the length of time, but I could be wrong. This might sound like a PITA, but you should probably be insuring the car in Virginia until you move to Washington.

Unless things have changed (been retired since 2003)... Military members are exempt unless it is there permanent duty stationed. TAD for a school is not permanent. Might be wrong, won't be the first time... lol

Jim

Unless things have changed (been retired since 2003)... Military members are exempt unless it is there permanent duty stationed. TAD for a school is not permanent. Might be wrong, won't be the first time... lol

Jim

You could be completely right, this might answer the question more specifically:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, especially since there are some factors I'm sure we haven't touched on yet.

It might just be easier to get everything switched over to Virginia just the same, but that should be all the info needed to figure it out.

I won't be living in VA but I will be there for longer than 30 days. Just on military orders. I don't have an address in VA at all so I won't be able to show proof. I'm kinda wondering about when I do go to register the car are they going to ask questions since I'm holding an Alaska license.

I won't be living in VA but I will be there for longer than 30 days. Just on military orders. I don't have an address in VA at all so I won't be able to show proof. I'm kinda wondering about when I do go to register the car are they going to ask questions since I'm holding an Alaska license.

If you read through the FAQ link to the VA DMV that should clear it up. It looks like you won't have to prove residency, but you will need a copy of your military orders. If you give them a call they can be super helpful too, not like what I'd usually expect from a DMV.

Back