No More Community Service Work During Business Hours

Full Throttle

Guru
1000 Post Club
Midwest
I'm all worked up at the moment. I spent an hour with someone helping them fill out the paperwork to enter the state risk pool for a tiny referral fee that may pay for my gas. I felt for this individual and took the time to help them since they were near by.

I just got bitched out in an email since the carrier administrating the pool is asking for additional proof of prior coverage and it's taking longer than expected to get it turned around. We showed proof that COBRA was ending as of the 1st of the month, but the carrier wanted a letter saying it has ended.

It doesn't matter since coverage will be retroactive back to the first of the month once the letter is received, but this person is pissed at me for not knowing in advance they would want a different letter. I have probably have done at least one of these a month over the past three years, and I've learned you never know in advance what will constitute proof of COBRA being exhausted in advance (must depend on the person's mood reviewing it).

In any event, getting bitched out when I had pure motivation to help someone in need gets me riled up. It's a reminder if nothing else, we're not in this business to do community service work, we're here to be profitable. If I want to do volunteer work, I can join to Peace Core. From now on, unless they are a current client, I'll send them to the state website and be done with it.

When I was in the environmental cleanup business I was involved in removing a fuel oil tank out of a daughter and her mother's yard. The daughter was 70+ and the mother was 90+. I took it upon myself to handle some issues related to the removal that could have easily cost them an addition $2-3,000 dollars. They never knew this and I only did it because I felt sorry for these two old women in a very small frame house. Afterwards I got bitched at because we did not sow grass seed over the excavation after we were finished.

Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished!

Full: Great thread starter. Just think how many "uninsurables" we could actually help and insure if the government compensated us fairly for doing it. Just think, a market based compensation for signing up someone who couldn't otherwise get insurance. Why does the government overcompensate teachers and other public workers but pay agents a measly 50 bucks for signing up someone into a high risk state pool? Again, ridiculous logic. Why is our job any less important than say being a teacher? The government pissing all over us again. I'm getting used to the feeling. After you pay taxes on that fifty you maybe net 25? Wow, that is some s#@t comp~!

Full, attorney's and doctors don't work pro-bono so why should you?

For example, If someone is looking for a two person group I'll tell them straight out that I can't do it due to the fact it requires 4 hours of work and I'll make the equivalent of a happy meal. They usually chuckle and understand that your time is valuable.

Evan

For example, If someone is looking for a two person group I'll tell them straight out that I can't do it due to the fact it requires 4 hours of work and I'll make the equivalent of a happy meal. They usually chuckle and understand that your time is valuable.

Evan

You're kidding, I hope. There are lawyers that do some pro bono work and I am sure there are some doctors that do the same at free clinics.

You're kidding, I hope. There are lawyers that do some pro bono work and I am sure there are some doctors that do the same at free clinics.
The free clinic is subsidized by a government entity and the staff get paid. Lawyers that work pro-bono usually get paid a stipend by the state as well.

Evan

All good points. Some days I have a tendacy to forget this is a business. During sales hours, I have an obligation to my family to be as profitable as possible while doing what is in the best interest of my clients. This means working a market that can pay me adequately during those hours. If I am going to get bitched at from time to time, might as well get paid for it!

Go tell any doctor, lawyer, accountant, plumber, etc...that you need a lot of work done and you can spot 'em a $50 and see what they say. Go to a restaurant and tell 'em you're really hungry but only have $2.

I have no problem telling my clients where to go if the best place from them doesn't earn me a commission. It would be unethical to dump them off the phone without the proper advice.

But after I give them the proper advice it's over on my end. If I feel like doing charitable work I'll sign up with Habit for Humanity. Aside from that I run a business.

All good points. Some days I have a tendacy to forget this is a business. During sales hours, I have an obligation to my family to be as profitable as possible while doing what is in the best interest of my clients. This means working a market that can pay me adequately during those hours. If I am going to get bitched at from time to time, might as well get paid for it!

There's also the issue of a potential E&O claim. We all like to do good deeds when it makes sense and doesn't put our neck in the noose but as pointed out, folks who expect the most for nothing are the ones that will bite the hand that feeds them quicker than anyone else. We tell folks where to go to get it, the price, then we send them on their way. We'd rather not have our agency name anywhere on the application just in case the grapes turn sour down the road somewhere - getting bitched out over something, or anything that doesn't go a client's way is part of daily life as an agent in these days of no one taking personal responsibility for anything.

Back