Non Competes

Arookaria

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
This is probably a dumb question but if we pick up contracts for a carrier such as SBLI through a GA we can later go captive right? There are no non competes in broker contracts? I am seriously thinking about going captive soon for the training but a couple of my friends want me to get them some term and I need an appointment with a term carrier.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Sent from my IPhone

Being independent means you can represent anyone who will grant you an appointment to sell their products.

However, it's not those contracts you need to worry about when you join a captive organization. It's the contract of what you can and cannot sell when you're captive.

For example: AFAIK, NYL has the 'first right of refusal'. This means you have to sell a NYL policy and get an underwriting decision before "shopping" the case with other carriers - even with an approved NYL brokerage agency.

For Mass, you can just sell another carrier as long as you are meeting your contract minimums with MassMutual.

Just ask questions and make sure you know where you stand with your captive carrier and what you're allowed to sell according to what is written.

Back