Northern Mutual Vs Guardian Life Vs NY Life

griffin

Northwestern Mutual Vs Guardian Life Vs NY Life

Hello,

I live in the NYC area, I use to work in banking until I was laid off, I have a Baccalaureates degree in International Business and I am looking to move into the insurance field. I have narrowed what companies I'm interested in to Northwestern Mutual, Guardian, and NYL.

I have no experience in insurance and therefore have no licenses. What I'm looking for is a company where I will receive solid training and also receive mentor support from other agents.

-I would like to know if those companies would provide a salary in the beginning or is it commission based from the start?

- What type of clients does Northwestern Mutual, Guardian, and NYL target? I get the feeling that Northwestern Mutual is more high-net worth?

- Am I expected to sell right away at those companies or is there a gradual easing into selling?

- Are those companies actively recruiting right now?

- Are there any other companies I should be looking at?

I have not done anything else besides researching those companies. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Last edited:
My remarks are in bold italics.

Hello,

I live in the NYC area, I use to work in banking until I was laid off, I have a Baccalaureates degree in International Business and I am looking to move into the insurance field. I have narrowed what companies I'm interested in to Northern Mutual, Guardian, and NYL. I assume you mean Northwestern Mutual.

I have no experience in insurance and therefore have no licenses. What I'm looking for is a company where I will receive solid training and also receive mentor support from other agents. You will need to figure out which of these offices will come closest to providing that.

-I would like to know if those companies would provide a salary in the beginning or is it commission based from the start? Not usually but it may differ office to office.

- What type of clients does Northern Mutual, Guardian, and NYL target? I get the feeling that Northern Mutual is more high-net worth? All three work a fairly high end market. I think NYL is the highest end.

- Am I expected to sell right away at those companies or is there a gradual easing into selling? Right away!

- Are those companies actively recruiting right now? They are always looking for people wjith potential.

- Are there any other companies I should be looking at? Also talk to Mass Mutual or if you want a base salary at the start Metlife.

I have not done anything else besides researching those companies. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

WTF is Northern Mutual Life?:goofy:

My mistake, I meant Northwestern Mutual.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
xrac,

If I'm interested in one of those companies, I would have to apply directly to a local office?

Last edited:
My mistake, I meant Northwestern Mutual.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
xrac,

If I'm interested in one of those companies, I would have to apply directly to a local office?

You can do that or you can go on line with any of them and take the on line test most of them have. They will then contact you.

Would any be able to tell me if working at an insurance company as a agent would be similar to a 9-5 job where I have a boss or can I be independent and set my own hours and work the way I want too?

Would any be able to tell me if working at an insurance company as a agent would be similar to a 9-5 job where I have a boss or can I be independent and set my own hours and work the way I want too?

What is it in your background that would give someone comfort that you would be able to succeed in one of the toughest opportunities there is, with obviously no experience, by working "the way you want to"?

What is it in your background that would give someone comfort that you would be able to succeed in one of the toughest opportunities there is, with obviously no experience, by working "the way you want to"?

My background is finance. I am use to starring at a spreadsheet all day and have supervisors above me ask questions. I wanted to know if working as an agent is the same way. You know, come to an office work, have a boss etc... Or can I view it as having my own little business?

If you don't, there is very little chance of success. It is an entrepreneurial type of business.

That is what I am looking for. Working for a company that allows to to source leads in my own way but also get help from the company when needed.

Would this be company/local office specific? I'm interested in Guardian Life and now Mass Mutual

Back