NY Life Div announcement

Yes. They issued a new WL line in 2008, another after the recent 7702 updates.

Only those 2 products get the published Dividend of 5.75%

Older policies got screwed.... at the expense of the new policy holders.

They paid out 105% of their life earnings in Dividends in 2022. 154% in 2020.

I wonder if 2023 will remain over 100% of their revenue.... ??!!!

Better hope that BD stays profitable..... not a business model Im fond of anymore.

It's kind of like what certain IUL carriers do when a new product comes the older policies get screwed at the benefit of new products

Direct recognition companies have policy series with different loan rates.
The interest rates charged on a loan are written into the contract.
If you changed these rates the company would creating a material change to the contract and a policy would be subjected to a 7 pay test, which could cause a MEC.
The spreads of which they credit the dividend are not guaranteed and can be changed.
My brain is foggy these days I think Penn uses Direct rec with a variable loan rate....could be wrong.

I guess they do not appreciate their older policyholders.
It is a bad look for the company.
A 2008 policy could possibly be on offset, now you give them a lower dividend?
You are taking a group of policyholders and having them subsidize new clients.
How long does it take for newer clients to become older clients and now their policies are subsidizing new clients.

Buying business. Thats the name of the game.

Almost like a reverse ponzi scheme... the old buyers are subsidizing the new buyers.

Last edited:
It's kind of like what certain IUL carriers do when a new product comes the older policies get screwed at the benefit of new products

Exactly like that.

The irony, is Penn bashes other IUL carriers who do that with IUL. Their whole story is "we use a portfolio rate".

So they dont do it with IUL... but they do it with WL?

Maybe someone can come along and let us know what the dividend is on the old block.

Last edited:
Buying business. Thats the name of the game.

Almost like a reverse ponzi scheme... the old buyers are subsidizing the new buyers.

And even worse, many of the old buyers are funding the carriers initiatives & startups that don't make it. .IE: Mass Mutual giving up in Haven Life.

And even worse, many of the old buyers are funding the carriers initiatives & startups that don't make it. .IE: Mass Mutual giving up in Haven Life.

There is fallout to that for sure.

Mass just "consolidated" (reduced) their points of contact on the brokerage side.

They increased comp on DI.

Moved to a Target based comp system on WL.
(seems to be a wash but maybe I missed something)

Dividend stayed level... in an increasing rate environment. But none of them seem eager to make a big jump right now.

Dividend stayed level... in an increasing rate environment. But none of them seem eager to make a big jump right now

Actually makes sense to me. Most carriers only have 4 to 6% of their entire portfolio of bonds & mortgages come due each year. Factor in that rates today are not that far off from expiring ones from 15-20 years ago & you realize dividend rates will take a long time to come back up with so little of expiring money being able to be invested at any higher rates

Reactions: DHK
Insurance companies also buy 30 year bonds with the first couple years interest payments stripped. Basically 30 year bond has 60 coupon payments, they will buy it with first 5 coupons missing. This lets them get a slightly higher yield on the 30 year bond in the long run. It also means when interest rates go up, they dont see any increase in additional income for several years.

Insurance companies make investments sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't.
If the investments are profitable a portion of that profit goes back to the policyholders as that investment was seeded with policyholder money.
Haven Life did not work out....there may be 15 others that did.
When I was with Guardian they were very aggressive in buying dental networks. (still may be).
Dental was always very profitable and was was used to enhance the dividend.
It takes a long time to move interest rates in the General Account as Alan mentioned above.
If you have access to Vital Signs, the full report will show you bond durations.

Back