NY Life Div announcement

This is from a company report, the numbers were taken from VS

The interesting part to me is that carriers tend to brag about liquidity & many agents point to standards comparative report & liquidity.

If so much is tied up in long term bonds & so little matures/expires each year, how is so much of it considered "liquid". Sure, they can sell at a loss or prior to maturity, but i think most agents misunderstand "liquid", possibly myself included to some extent

The interesting part to me is that carriers tend to brag about liquidity & many agents point to standards comparative report & liquidity.

If so much is tied up in long term bonds & so little matures/expires each year, how is so much of it considered "liquid". Sure, they can sell at a loss or prior to maturity, but i think most agents misunderstand "liquid", possibly myself included to some extent

This is one of the issues with carriers not wanting to do business in NY.

They require economic reserves vs. Statutory and come down hard on insurers that use captives to post reserves.

"Liquidity" can be rectified by creative accounting in many instances.

If you actually studied liquidity at Commercial banks, you would not leave any money in your checking account. Frankly, if it weren't for the Federal Reserve promise to bail out and Feds ability to print unlimited money, they would not survive. Why do you think Banks and Insurance companies always show large buildings in ads, even though its all mortgaged to the last penny. Insurance companies are not legally backed by the Fed. However, if there was a large run on insurance companies, they would flood the market to sell Government bonds and trust me Fed wont stay silent. Also we have seen what happens in cases like 9/11. People dont go out and cancel life insurance plans in a hurry, but they may hit ATM's. There is something psychological about having a policy of 300k cash value and 500K death benefit. When I cash it out, in my head I may feel my children will receive 500k less.

Penn also has various loan rates depending on product and year of purchase.

So if you bought a whole life policy in 1989, your loan rate is 9.25%.

But if you bought a WL policy in 2012, your loan rate is 5.00%.

I don't know what the methodology is behind it all.

View attachment 10567
Penn Mutual, 1974 Whole Life policy. Loan Rate 6%

Exactly like that.

The irony, is Penn bashes other IUL carriers who do that with IUL. Their whole story is "we use a portfolio rate".

So they dont do it with IUL... but they do it with WL?

Maybe someone can come along and let us know what the dividend is on the old block.

Penn Mutual, 1974 Whole Life policy

In 2022 I received a dividend of 112% of my premium. This generated Paid Up Additions of 148% of my premium.

(There is a note in the dividend box of the 2021 information sheet that says the dividend scale for the policy has changed. There was a similar note in 2019. Don't have other sheets to check in that file folder right now.)

MLSDev stands as a trailblazer in the realm of technology for warehouses, driving innovation and efficiency across the supply chain. As warehouses increasingly become hubs of technological integration, MLSDev's contributions play a crucial role in shaping the future of warehousing and logistics. https://mlsdev.com/services/mobile-app-development By leveraging cutting-edge solutions, businesses can transform their warehouses into agile, tech-driven ecosystems that meet the demands of today's dynamic market. As technology continues to evolve, MLSDev remains at the forefront, enabling warehouses to embrace the full potential of technological advancements in their quest for operational excellence.

Last edited:
Back