NYLife Vs Prudential???

Are you stalking me? Did you know there's an app for this forum? That's why you see me logged in and how easy it can be to post here.

So... IUL is always a ripoff? Okay, I see the light. :1rolleyes:

Look, as you said, it depends on the goal. There are many tools to help people accomplish their goals. WL is not the "be all and end all" and neither is IUL.

Anyone who is selling IUL should NOT be touting 7% annual returns every single year. That is a gross misrepresentation of what to expect of the product. IUL credits interest based on the underlying index volatility. S&P goes up, so does the amount of interest credited. S&P is flat or is negative... then 0% interest is credited.

When you compare a WL guaranteed columns to IUL guaranteed columns, you are making the assumption that the underlying index segment will remain flat, or be negative for the LIFE of the product. Highly unlikely that will happen.

However, what is illustrated and what is explained... are often two different things. That's why I created my own supplemental disclosures to accompany the policies that I sell.

I do share your concern about unrealistic expectations of IUL illustrations. I prefer illustrations where you can vary the interest being credited year to year - such as a maximum 3 years, then 0% for 2 years, and alternate that for the life of the policy.

Marvin Feldman (of your company, last I remember) said to never forget the rule 1 to 100: In 1 year, 100% of your illustrations will be wrong.

BTW, I don't have any idea what you're talking about that's going to be "illegal" on 3/1/16.

My IUL contract pays me a 90% flat on target premium. There are occasional contests and promotions, but I largely ignore them.

Let's talk about WL vs UL disclosure requirements. WL incorporates your COI within the premium structure. Because WL is a FIXED product - fixed premiums, fixed death benefit, fixed interest... it does not require a separate disclosure for costs of insurance. Why? For the same reason that a bank doesn't have to disclose costs associated with FDIC insured deposit products. It's all incorporated into the rates offered.

However, IUL is unbundled and FLEXIBLE... so it must disclose the costs to be managed. Flexible premiums, flexible interest that can be credited, flexible death benefit. Just like a mutual fund. With variable rates of return, along with the risk of loss, one must know what the costs are that affect returns. So a prospectus is given. It's the same principle behind cost of insurance disclosures.

What you're REALLY saying... is that IUL has become a favorite of non-educated agents who don't know how to properly structure a contract for the benefit of the client... and THAT is what we ALL have a problem with.

Here's the difference: You're blaming the issuing insurance company and the product design.

I'm blaming the amateur agent. Two very different things.

Misrepresentation and ignorance: A dangerous blend for ethics | LifeHealthPro

I would put an IUL by me, scagnt83, or BNTRS (and a few others on this board) against the illustrations you've seen and you'll see that WE know what we're doing. Perhaps the vast majority of agents don't... and that's why NYL and other mutual insurance companies love sticking with WL - it's an easier sale with far fewer components to review with clients on a regular basis. Plus, if and when agents leave the company or industry, it's far easier to maintain these contracts with minimal intervention by an agent. You can't do that with UL, IUL, or especially VUL. ULs generally require ongoing, periodic reviews.

If it wasn't for this board, and specifically scagnt83, I wouldn't have the IUL knowledge that I do have.

Every product has a viable market. No product is inherently good or bad. Agents can twist a product and misrepresent a strategy, but that's due to the lack of ethics and/or training on the part of the agent... not the fault of the issuing company.

Last edited:
"Perhaps the vast majority of agents don't... and that's why NYL and other mutual insurance companies love sticking with WL - it's an easier sale with far fewer components to review with clients on a regular basis. Plus, if and when agents leave the company or industry, it's far easier to maintain these contracts with minimal intervention by an agent."

I think that is a reasonable assessment. The Big Mutual companies are the oil tankers of the insurance biz. Slow to change direction, but for a reason. They have the deepest pockets and know through past experience when a agent screws up, the cost is pretty high to the company. I've seen them clear sales managers out in minutes because of mis sold products, because of the millions paid out later.

SO I think there is some truth to what you've stated. The more diverse the product line, the greater the risk of misguided selling. During my decade with NYL they realized this and started to leave market after market. The idea of be all, end all, became we'll do that and that, but somebody else can have that.

The mutual's make enough selling what they sell to worry about these other sales. They know their agent risk and this is how they choose to handle it.

Im assuming you know IUL. I write mostly Term and GUL and was wondering if you could answer some questions that I have on carriers that offer IUL. Let me know please.

Hey guys...I am trying to figure out what company would be best for a long term future. I have been in the industry with a captive fraternal company for the last 9 years and recently went independent and working a 9-5 job which boy was not the greener grass. I realized that the "job" was not a grass is greener on the other side and lost all my freedom I have had for many years and took a step back financially to have a consistant income. I need to go with a larger company that will offer health insurance for my family and based on two friends that are trying to get me to go with their company but I am unsure. Obviously one is at NY Life and the other is looking to go with Pru as a sales manager and wants me to work under him.

Both seem to have pro's but I'm unsure of the cons and do want to put in a year or two and have to leave. Really looking for a company where I can actually have some longevity and the ability to make money.

I am contracted with Pru and don't like them much. A guy from NY life has been courting me. Apparently these are their selling points for the agent: they don't suffocate you with quotas, they offer good marketing and support, they'll let you write other companies, you get a pension based on your production and help pay your family health insurance. Doesn't sound too bad. I haven't been through it so I can't offer anymore advice. Good luck

Yes. I need to know your opinion as to who has the best IUL. Someone called me replace a WRL policy with a $2000.00 a month premium but when I looked at the look back, I had to advise him that his product was good. It was based on Global index. The highest Global Index look back i know of is ING at 10%. Excuse my ignorance in the IUL since I mainly write Term and GUL throughout the country.

So... you gave advice on an IUL while admitting that you're ignorant on it... AND you based your advice on the "lookback" rate? BTW, cap rates can and do change. They are called a "moving part".

With IUL, it's not as much the product as it is how the agent has structured the premiums & death benefit for maximum cash value accumulation. It's NOT about "who has the highest cap rate on a given index segment".

Thank you. I was not giving advise but merely stating what I have been told. So the key would be to set the lowest face and have the death benefit increasing with max contribution. Are you stating that a product with no cap would be the best option ? Who in your opinion has the best IUL if structured right between ING, Minnesota Life, Allianz ?

I don't know about those uncapped options. They have an interest rate spread. ANICO just rolled a couple of those out for their IULs and I'm still not sure about them.

If I understand the spread correctly, if the underlying index moves up, but it's at the spread or lower... NO interest is credited. Currently, ANICO's spread is about 4.75%.

However, if I used a capped strategy of their current 14% and 0% floor, and the index moved 4.75%... then 4.75% would be credited to the policy.

The uncapped strategy is great for massive market upward volatility, but I still want the smaller interest credited too. 4.75% is still better than 0% any day of the week.

As far as product comparisons, I can't really help you there. I don't just look for good index segments, but various riders... and California has its limitations. For me in CA, ANICO is my benchmark carrier... and I compare everyone else to their products. You can check them out here and compare them to anyone else you're considering.

Independent Marketing Group of American National

You are extremely helpful and I thank you again. I write for ANICO and just last week received an email showing their new GUL which looks far better in cash value than almost any other carrier. I will look into the ANICO IUL and compare it with the other carriers. Again, thank you for your help.

Back