One Call In-home CLOSERS Techniques.

After you get in the door. After you've exposed their needs and shown them a solution, or two to choose from, how do you get past the thinkers and procrastinators?

How do you turn these into an application?

1. Well, we're not going to do anything today.

2. I had no idea this would be this type of appointment, I thought you were just dropping off some information.

3. Could you please just leave us some information and your card and we'll call you when we're ready?

4. My kids handle all of this.

I'm sure there's a ton more. I'm thinking experienced people probably know the TOP 10 reasons why people won't buy right there on the spot and work them into their presentations or try to review with the prospects when they are not closing.

For example. Is it me? Is it the amount of coverage? Is it the premium? Is it the company?

I realize there are other factors such as, they must like and trust you, and respect your knowledge of the industry etc.

What are some good closing techniques?

In 2005, I wrote just under 400 life apps. for $260,000 annual premium. This was on 10 leads per week that I paid for thru NAA and maybe an average of 4 bonus leads per week that they gave me.

I'm not saying that to brag, but, to make this point, I am terrible at overcoming objections. I was then and I am now. On the phone or in the home. I hate pushy salesmen with a passion and I refuse to be one. I take "no" for an answer very easily.

They used to get me up in front of the group every month so that I could tell my secrets for having so much success. The secret was that I had no secret. I always said, "I'm terrible at over-coming objections, if I have to talk my way into the home, I will have to talk them into buying it and then I will have to talk them into keeping it every month."

I basically only meet with people that indicate an interest in meeting with me. I do always assume the close. I figure if a person takes the time to send in the lead and then agrees to let me into their home, they want what I have to offer.

There was this one super closer at the agency I was with. In fact, he called himself "the closer". I believe he could sell just about anything to anybody. His problem was that most of the life apps he closed came off the books in a month or two. Once his salespitch wore off, the clients dropped what he "sold" them.

Redefine your sales presentation to answer the objections BEFORE they come up. Give them a choice of plans and confidently ask: which plan do you want to start with? If during the presentation, they make favorable comments about one plan, ask, do you want to go ahead and get the paperwork started on this?

When they say no, ask why:

It's been my experience there are 3 reasons why someone doesn't start the plan immediately.
1--They don't feel they need it.
2--They can't afford it
3--They don't trust the company
Which one is stopping you from starting the plan. Is it the money?

I always ask is it the money? because that is almost always the answer if you give a good presentation.

BTW, how are you getting your leads. If your cold calling, your closing rate will be lower than if you're working direct mail leads.

Hang in there and good luck. Not all of us are highly successful life agents.

There was this one super closer at the agency I was with. In fact, he called himself "the closer". I believe he could sell just about anything to anybody. His problem was that most of the life apps he closed came off the books in a month or two. Once his salespitch wore off, the clients dropped what he "sold" them.

So true: "Now why do I have this again?"

Car sales is the best training I ever had.

First you qualify as to being Ready, Willing and Able to do business.

Discuss their problems or fears.

Present the solution

Ask for their drivers licenses or social security number to write on the app which was the first paper you pull from your case.

With an objection, ask 'other than the money is there any reason you won't buy today?' It's always the money. When you do your presentation, you have to show enough value to make the money look right.

Always remember, the best salesman in the world cannot overcome poverty or ignorance. I like the reverse psychology (sp?) also. I remember that I can't please everyone and I won't take abuse.

Back